[comp.sys.apollo] Unlocking locked file?

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (10/23/90)

A friend terminated a process in a not-so-standard way
(I'm not sure what he did), but a file being used by the
process is now locked.
(It happens to be a text file, and any attempt to
get at it results in 'text file busy')

I've run into this problem before, and can always delete
the file using 'rm -f <file>' (under /bin/csh).
Also, I can rename the file, but it still remains locked.

However, a copy of the file does not exist, so we somehow
need to unlock the file, or at least be able to copy it.

He was running aegis under SR10.2 if it makes a difference.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52240

randall@bcstec.UUCP (Michael Randall) (10/25/90)

In article <2852@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
> A friend terminated a process in a not-so-standard way
> (I'm not sure what he did), but a file being used by the
> process is now locked.
> (It happens to be a text file, and any attempt to
> get at it results in 'text file busy')
>
> I've run into this problem before, and can always delete
> the file using 'rm -f <file>' (under /bin/csh).
> Also, I can rename the file, but it still remains locked.

You should be able to unlock it with "ulkob -f filename" from a
process on the node which the file resides. Send corrections to
me via E-mail, send flames to "The Bit Bucket".
--
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Michael W. Randall        | "Drive like you     |   Boeing Computer Services |

krowitz@richter.mit.edu (David Krowitz) (10/25/90)

Try using /com/ulkob -f (unlock object -force). You will probably have
to execute the command on the machine on which the file resides. You
may also have to be root.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

ced@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Davidson) (10/25/90)

From article <2852@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, by jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman):

> A friend terminated a process in a not-so-standard way
> (I'm not sure what he did), but a file being used by the
> process is now locked.
> (It happens to be a text file, and any attempt to
> get at it results in 'text file busy')
>
> He was running aegis under SR10.2 if it makes a difference.

Jeff,

The utility you are looking for is /etc/ulkob. It exists for just the kind of
problem you describe.

Carl Davidson  (508) 256-6600 x4361    |
The Apollo Systems Divison of          |  Never moon
The Hewlett-Packard Company            |  a Werewolf.
DOMAIN: ced@apollo.HP.COM              |

wilsonj@texas.UUCP (Jay Wilson) (10/26/90)

It is not possible to unlock files at sr10.x.

We reported the problem at sr10.1 and apollo
said that sr10.2 was coming out and it would
have the fix on.  We got sr10.2 and the problem
still existed.

Apollo then said that what they intended to
say was that if the problem still existed at
sr10.2 then they would look into the problem.

Well they have been looking at for 4 monthes
and still no solution.  Maybe they will get
it fixed by sr10.3.

Jay Wilson (wilsonj@gtephx)
UUCP:  {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!wilsonj
AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, AZ
voice (602) 581-4496
fax   (602) 581-4967