[comp.sys.apollo] sharing printer between pc and apollo

apollo@mv04.ecf (Vince Pugliese) (10/11/90)

we are currently printing out postscript files, generated on
a PC, in the following manner:

the application program on the PC is instructed to write the
postscript output to a file. once the file is generated, the user
logons to one of our apollos and transfers the file. the file
is then printed out using the apollo prf command.

what we were wondering is if there was a way in which the printer
can be shared in a more transparent manner. i have thought about
switch boxes but that would mean having to physically throw a
toggle of some sort. besides, i have noticed erratic behaviour if the
printer is brought down, i.e. switched out, that necessitates
restarting the print server.

has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? has anyone
used software selectable switch boxes?
any and all suggestions welcome

thanks
.vp

jal@acc (John Lauro) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.180603.22622@ecf.utoronto.ca> apollo@mv04.ecf (Vince Pugliese) writes:

>we are currently printing out postscript files, generated on
>a PC, in the following manner:
>
>the application program on the PC is instructed to write the
>postscript output to a file. once the file is generated, the user
>logons to one of our apollos and transfers the file. the file
>is then printed out using the apollo prf command.
>
>what we were wondering is if there was a way in which the printer
>can be shared in a more transparent manner. i have thought about
>switch boxes but that would mean having to physically throw a
>toggle of some sort. besides, i have noticed erratic behaviour if the
>printer is brought down, i.e. switched out, that necessitates
>restarting the print server.
>
>has anyone come up with a solution to this problem? has anyone
>used software selectable switch boxes?
>any and all suggestions welcome

There is a version of lpr for PC available which would be a step
in the right direction.  But that does not allow complete transparent
printing...

>thanks
>.vp

We have a similar problem, except most of our printers for the
PCs are on Novell servers, and we want the Apollo stations to
access them.

I will be working on a package that will work with existing
Apollo print drivers and server, and route the prints to a
Novell queue using a dedicated pc (running TCP/IP).  (One PC
should be able to handle multiple Novell servers and printers.)
If anyone has a better solution, please let me know.

Unless I find a better solution, I expect to have the software
ready for beta testing by the end of the year.  If anyone is
interested, let me know.  (Especially if anyone wants to help
on the Apollo side, which I have less experience.)

    - John_Lauro@ub.cc.umich.edu     jal@acc.flint.umich.edu

peterk@hparc0.HP.COM (Peter Kempinski) (10/30/90)

/ hparc0:comp.sys.apollo / apollo@mv04.ecf (Vince Pugliese) /  4:06 am  Oct 11, 1990 /

> we are currently printing out postscript files, generated on
> a PC, in the following manner:

> the application program on the PC is instructed to write the
> postscript output to a file. once the file is generated, the user
> logons to one of our apollos and transfers the file. the file
                                   ^^^^^^^^^
> is then printed out using the apollo prf command.

I am not too sure how do you transfer that file

the product you need is called DPCI - allows for remote print
from DOS to apollo network + file sharing + terminal emulation.
DPCI works on ethernet, ring or rs232; you need both pc end (client)
and apollo end (server)

ask your local hp support or e-mail me if you need more info

--
Peter M. Kempinski                                            _
Hewlett-Packard Australia                               ___   _-