[comp.sys.apollo] Date and other wierd problems on an Apollo Dn4500 running Sr10.1

bala@pebbles.Synopsys.COM (Bala Vasireddi) (10/25/90)

We are experiencing wierd problem on a Dn4500 running SR10.1.

Problem 1: The date is wrong. So I halt the machine and execute 'ex
calendar'. But, calendar thinks the date is already right (which in this
case is 10/24/90). So I boot the machine and check the date. Viola, it is
wrong again (this time it is: 10/25/90 00:48 or something like that).

Also the Timezone is wrong. So as a last resort I set the date using the
/bin/date command. This seemed to have worked, but this is not the correct
way to set the date, right?

Problem 2: A user 'test' logs into this machine. His/her home directory is
mounted via nfs from a Sun. We are running nfs2.0.

If the user types a pwd (or almost any command for that matter) in this login,
this machine logs him out. Here is the output generated when I tried to su to
test from 'root' login to debug this problem:

# whoami
root
# su test
% whoami
status 90C0023 (UNIX/errno status)
test
% #
# su test
% cd
% ls
status 90C0023 (UNIX/errno status)
% Reset tty pgrp from 192 to 189
  (at this point I had to type <CR> to get the next prompt)
% pwd
//node_1d24d/sybil1/test
status 90C0023 (UNIX/errno status)
% #
(Just to show that I am only having problems when I su to test, here is a
transcript of this session whne I am logged in as root)
# echo ~test
/sybil1/test
# cd ~test
# pwd
//node_1d24d/sybil1/test
# ls -alg
total 1840
drwxr-xr-x  10 test     test         1056 Oct 25  1990 .
drwxr-xr-x   9 root     wheel         440 Oct 24  1990 ..
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test           96 Dec 13  1989 .X11
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test         1058 Dec 13  1989 .Xdefaults
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test         1422 Oct 25  1990 .cshrc
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test         1812 Oct 25  1990 .cshrc.old
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test           12 Apr 24  1990 .forward
-rw-r--r--   1 test     test          224 Oct 25  1990 .login
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test         1128 Aug 29 23:36 .login.old
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test          134 Dec 13  1989 .logout
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test          140 Dec 13  1989 .mailrc
-rw-r--r--   1 test     test           18 Oct 18 17:35 .rhosts
-rw-r--r--   1 test     test          165 Oct  9 22:44 .synopsys
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test         3398 Dec 13  1989 .uwmrc
drwxr-xr-x   2 test     test          176 Oct 17 16:48 doc
drwxr-xr-x   3 test     test          132 Oct 20 06:52 jott
drwxr-xr-x   2 test     test          396 Oct 17 16:48 man
drwxr-xr-x  12 test     test         2376 Oct 24  1990 qor
drwxr-xr-x   2 test     test          748 Aug 30 23:12 src
drwxr-xr-x   5 test     test          220 Oct 24  1990 test
drwxr-xr-x   2 test     test          264 Oct 24  1990 tmp
drwxr-xr-x   7 test     test          440 Oct 24  1990 unit
-rw-r--r--   1 test     test       896319 Oct 25  1990 verilog.log
-rwxr-xr-x   1 test     test         1843 Oct 24  1990 x
#

Can anybody explain, what's going wrong here?

Thanks.

--
Bala Vasireddi,            Phone: (415)962-5036
Synopsys, Inc.             FAX:   (415)965-8637

bala@pebbles.elan.com (Bala Vasireddi) (10/26/90)

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (10/26/90)

The date you're seeing is probably right, if only you were in the right
timezone!  Since Apollos use the current time when they create an object
on disk (they're not called UNIQUE identifiers as a joke), they don't want
you changing the time just because daylight savings time starts (ends).
Instead, they track everything in UTC (Greenwich Mean Time), and have a
timezone offset.  When you change the time zone, you change the effective
LOCAL time that is displayed (although they still keep track of it in UTC).

To change the time zone, use 'tz' (Example: "tz CST" will change us back from
Central Daylight Time to Standard Time.  We'll be doing it this Sunday,
as a matter of fact.  If for some reason you don't like using the time zone,
you can use an offset instead, like "tz -10:00" to get Aleutian Standard Time
(I think).  YOu can use offsets with 30 minute increments as well (e.g. -4:30)
if you have weird or funky timezones, and you can even NAME your time zone so
that the machine calls it by your (up to 4 letter) name.  What you can't get
away with is changing the time to try and change the time-zone.

(No help on problem #2 -- sorry)

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (10/26/90)

In article <9010260403.AA11351@pan.ssec.honeywell.com>, thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:
  (I think).  YOu can use offsets with 30 minute increments as well (e.g. -4:30)
  if you have weird or funky timezones, and you can even NAME your time zone so
  that the machine calls it by your (up to 4 letter) name.

The 30-minute increment thing is (in my opinion) a bug in
cal_$decode_ascii_tzdif(), which is in kslib.  The author of this routine
has a very small airplane and has never flown it as far away as Nepal or any
of the other countries that are not on 30-minute timezones.  Now that we
have all those troops in Saudi, where time zones are on one minute
increments, it might be time to fix this.

You can get around this by calling the os routine cal_$write_timezone()
directly.  The os stores time zones on disk in one minute increments.

By the way, it isn't immediately apparent, but you must reboot after
resetting the time zone.

Also, why do you have to be root to set the time, but anyone can set the
time zone?

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (10/27/90)

> <<forwarded message from Jim Rees>>
> In article <9010260403.AA11351@pan.ssec.honeywell.com>, thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:
>   (I think).  YOu can use offsets with 30 minute increments as well (e.g. -4:30)
>   if you have weird or funky timezones, and you can even NAME your time zone so
>   that the machine calls it by your (up to 4 letter) name.
>
> The 30-minute increment thing is (in my opinion) a bug in
> cal_$decode_ascii_tzdif(), which is in kslib.  The author of this routine
> has a very small airplane and has never flown it as far away as Nepal or any
> of the other countries that are not on 30-minute timezones.  Now that we
> have all those troops in Saudi, where time zones are on one minute
> increments, it might be time to fix this.
Well, I can't be too hard on the author.  I have never encountered a 30-minute
offset, let alone a 1-minute one!  (I guess that says I'm just a poor country
hick from the Midwest.   :-)

> You can get around this by calling the os routine cal_$write_timezone()
> directly.  The os stores time zones on disk in one minute increments.
>
> By the way, it isn't immediately apparent, but you must reboot after
> resetting the time zone.
Huh???  We have never re-booted after setting time zone.  In fact, I played
around with it when I was writing my original reply, and had no problems.
I believe you're mistaken on that count.

> Also, why do you have to be root to set the time, but anyone can set the
> time zone?
Probably because setting the time has a direct effect on the O/S, while
the time zone does not.  Incidentally, you can fake the Apollos out and
modify the date (through Aegis) even if you aren't root.  Just run 'calendar'
and say you have no disk.  The adjusted time will still be recorded onto
the disk when a shutdown occurs.  (Note that this _does_ require a shutdown
to take effect.  Unlike the Unix 'date' (as root) command.)

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (10/30/90)

In article <4da18bc1.1bc5b@pisa.ifs.umich.edu>, rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
  By the way, it isn't immediately apparent, but you must reboot after
  resetting the time zone.

I suppose I should have mentioned before you all rebooted that this is only
necessary if you are changing the actual zone you are in, not if you are
simply changing from daylight to standard time.  The problem is that Unix
caches the time zone, and 'tz' doesn't update the cache.

Also, I've just been informed that the author of cal_$decode_ascii_tzdif
was last seen flying a twin Cessna 310.

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (10/31/90)

In article <9010261958.AA13955@pan.ssec.honeywell.com> thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:
>I have never encountered a 30-minute
>offset, let alone a 1-minute one!  (I guess that says I'm just a poor country
>hick from the Midwest.   :-)

In Canada, we have Newfoundland which is 1/2 hour offset from Atlantic
time. I know there is an Apollo at Memorial U. - I wonder what they
use for a time zone setting.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca