[comp.sys.apollo] TCP Hostname Resolving/10.2

SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) (11/02/90)

Thanks for everyone's help on my question about resolving hostnames.
By deleting the files /etc/hosts.dir and /etc/hosts.pag, my problems
immediately went away. Of course, I don't know where those files come from,
I guess some daemon will regenerate them along the line if it needs them.

Scott Ferguson
srfergu@erenj.bitnet

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (11/03/90)

> Thanks for everyone's help on my question about resolving hostnames.
> By deleting the files /etc/hosts.dir and /etc/hosts.pag, my problems
> immediately went away. Of course, I don't know where those files come from,
> I guess some daemon will regenerate them along the line if it needs them.

The files are created by running /etc/mkhosts.

John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)

mcguire@math.uiowa.edu (Charlie McGuire) (11/03/90)

In article <9011021558.AA09019@umix.cc.umich.edu>,
SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:

|> Thanks for everyone's help on my question about resolving hostnames.
|> By deleting the files /etc/hosts.dir and /etc/hosts.pag, my problems
|> immediately went away. Of course, I don't know where those files come from,
|> I guess some daemon will regenerate them along the line if it needs them.

The hosts.dir and hosts.pag files are hashed versions of the host file that you
explicitly create with the mkhosts command. If your host table is very large,
the hashed versions will speed up lookups. If your table isn't very long,
don't worry about it.

* Charlie McGuire                    | INTERNET: mcguire@math.uiowa.edu   *
* Systems Programmer                 |           mcguire@cs.uiowa.edu     *
* Computer Science Dept.             |                                    *
* The University of Iowa             |    PHONE: (319) 335-2730           *

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (11/05/90)

Those files are created by running the /etc/mkhosts program. Unfortunately,
Domain/OS installation will create a link for the /etc/host file on nodes which
are not tcp_admin hosts, making it relatively easy to keep the /etc/hosts file
up to date on your network; but the installation will *not* create links for
the /etc/hosts.dir and /etc/hosts.pag files -- you wind up with seperate copies
on each machine on which you execute /etc/mkhosts.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet