[comp.sys.apollo] NFS won't mount foreign disks

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (11/10/90)

I have installed NFS 2.1.p on my DN10000. It will successfully export
Apollo directories to foreign systems (IBM RS/6000, SGI 4D25) with
some flaky behaviour (on the foreign system, sometimes commands like
'ls' return no output, and the first 'pwd' after a 'cd ../..' gives
error messages when working in an Apollo directory).

Problem: I can't mount any foreign file system on the DN10000 with
commands like:

mount -o soft gatto:/ /nfs/gatto_root
mount -o soft ferrum:/usr /nfs/ferrum_usr
mount -o hard ferrum:/usr /nfs/ferrum_usr

(the directory //dn10000/nfs already exists, but /nfs/blah_blah does not).

The error message is always:
mount: ferrum:/usr on /nfs/ferrum_usr: Access denied

Has anyone got NFS 2.1.p to work in this way?
Has anyone got NFS 2.1 (m68k version) to work in this way?
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

In article <1990Nov9.223114.24254@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) writes:
>Problem: I can't mount any foreign file system on the DN10000 with
>commands like: mount -o soft ferrum:/ /nfs/ferrum_root
>The error message is always:
>mount: ferrum:/usr on /nfs/ferrum_usr: Access denied

The Apollo Hotline figured this one out first time - you have to use the '-n'
option on 'mountd' on foreign systems since the "new" NFS mountd wants to use a
privileged port by default, but the Apollo can't; the '-n' tells mountd
to use the "old" NFS mount port. NFS now works :-).
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Tel: (416) 978-7094                  Fax: (416) 978-8775

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (11/11/90)

I was having similar problems on my 10k, running an earlier version
of NFS (the one that works with 10.1p).  It turned out that NFS
on the APollo didn't support priveliged ports.  The NFS daemons
on the machines whose disks I wanted to mount had to be restarted
with the option not to use priveliged ports (-n I think).  Then
it worked fine.