[comp.sys.apollo] logout after "nohup ..... &"

gerry@swift.cs.tcd.ie (11/14/90)

If I type:
	 "nohup <any command, e.g. sleep 100000> &"
and then logout every user (except locksmiths) is locked out of the
system i.e. they cannot make a telnet connection nor use the login
command. Howvere, they can login over a direct line and also by using
crp -on ... -login ... command.  Sometimes the problem goes away
but mostly you have to kill the nohupped process to free up the system.
We run 10.2. Can anybody help?

					Gerry O'Brien,
					Dept. of Computer Science,
					Trinity College Dublin,
					Ireland

					gerry@cs.tcd.ie

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (11/16/90)

In article <7490.2741396e@swift.cs.tcd.ie> gerry@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>If I type:
>	 "nohup <any command, e.g. sleep 100000> &"
>and then logout every user (except locksmiths) is locked out of the
>system i.e. they cannot make a telnet connection nor use the login
>command.

I haven't seen this effect, but 'nohup ... &' is broken as of SR10.2.
The only solution for someone on the display is to 'crp' onto yourself,
and run the job in the crp session. Jobs submitted from rlogin/telnet
sessions do not get killed when the user logs out. Jobs submitted from
xterms are blasted when the display user logs out. This behaviour has
been APR'ed and is completely unacceptable.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (11/16/90)

As long as "nohup" remains broken, you might try using
/etc/server -p to run your process. /etc/server is supposed
to mark the process so that it is not automatically killed
upon logout. The "-p" is supposed to give the process your
current user SID (eg. "krowitz.sys_admin.none") rather than
"user.server.none". This may provide a workaround until you
get a chance to test SR10.3

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

gjalt@ele.tue.nl (& de Jong) (11/16/90)

In article <9011152058.AA03872@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:

   As long as "nohup" remains broken, you might try using
   /etc/server -p to run your process. /etc/server is supposed
   to mark the process so that it is not automatically killed
   upon logout. The "-p" is supposed to give the process your
   current user SID (eg. "krowitz.sys_admin.none") rather than
   "user.server.none". This may provide a workaround until you
   get a chance to test SR10.3

most of time I just do a rlogin localhost, which works fine, too

--
__
Gjalt G. de Jong,                 | Phone: +(31)40-473345