[comp.sys.apollo] Apollo Word Wrap

daf@quintro.uucp (Doug Flesner) (11/21/90)

Is there a command that will enable me to continue on to the next line without
hitting a return in an apollo dm edit window?  I guess I'm thinking of some-
thing similiar to auto word wrap at the end of a line in vi.  We are running
10.1.1.6  Thanks

--
Doug Flesner................... | ...There is pleasure in sin for a season...
Glenayre Elec........Quincy, Il | ......and there are lovers of pleasure.....

dawson@epps.kodak.com (Keith Dawson) (11/21/90)

DM wordwrap was implemented in SR9.7 at the request of a large cus-
tomer. It still exists, and still works as well as it ever did, at
SR10.3. Documentation was drafted (see below). It only works on fixed-
width fonts; tabs aren't handled correctly. At the time SR9.7 released
it was decided not to document wordwrap, but to give the feature as-is
to the customer who requested it.

There are several other useful, mostly functional, undocumented DM fea-
tures (for instance, automatically line-numbered read and edit pads).
Around the time I left Apollo (May 1990) there was talk in Marketing
of informally documenting them somehow for customers. Don't know if
this ever happened.

Here's the draft manpage on wordwrap:

  9.7;ww (word_wrap) *DM*, revision 9.0, 87/08/26
  WW (WORD_WRAP) -- perform word wrap operations.
  usage:  ww [-c nnn] [-a] [-i]

  FORMAT
                  WW [options]

                  WW is a toggle command that puts a DM edit window in
                  word-wrap mode.  Existing lines wrap when a user types
                  in them.  Word wrap does not affect cut and paste
                  operations.  When word wrap is on, a "W" is visible in
                  the mode field of the edit window's banner.

                  WW only works for fixed-width fonts.

  ARGUMENTS

                  ww -c nnn   Sets the character column at which word
                              wrap will occur.  The character column is
                              calculated based on the pixel width of the
                              current font in the window.

                              Default column, when word wrap is on, is the
                              right edge of the window.

                  ww -a       Given a range of text and a word wrap
                              column which has been previously set, the
                              -a option instructs the Display Manager to
                              wrap all lines in the range.  Word wrap
                              does not understand a rectangular range.

                  ww -i       Displays the current word wrap column.

Keith Dawson                     dawson@epps.kodak.com
  Atex Advanced Publishing Systems
  165 Lexington Rd. (400/165L)            508-670-4025
  Billerica, MA  01821                fax 508-670-4033

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.212949.10429@quintro.uucp>, daf@quintro.uucp (Doug Flesner) writes:

  Is there a command that will enable me to continue on to the next line without
  hitting a return in an apollo dm edit window?

I thought this was documented but I can't find it in the dm/commands help
file.  'ww -c xx' sets the wrap column to xx.  'ww -a' turns on auto-wrap,
and 'ww' turns it off.  This works in a marked region as well, so you can
define a key to auto-wrap a marked region of text.  Mine is on f3:

kd f3 ww -c 76;ww -a;ww ke

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.212949.10429@quintro.uucp> daf@quintro.UUCP (Doug Flesner) writes:
>Is there a command that will enable me to continue on to the next line without
>hitting a return in an apollo dm edit window?

Here's the unofficial ww.hlp file floating around here:

10.0; ww  (word_wrap)  *DM*, revision 1.0,  89/03/22
ww (word_wrap) -- set word warp mode.
usage:  ww [-on | -off] [ -c xx] [-a] [-i]

DESCRIPTION
    The WW command puts the current pad into (-ON) or out of (-OFF) word warp
    mode.  If no option is supplied, the current mode is inverted.  In word
    wrap mode, the cursor automatically wraps to the next line when the word
    wrap column is reached.  The column is set automatically to two columns
    short of the right edge of the pad, or can be set manually to any
    particular column with the -c option.  Relalignment of existing text can
    be accomplished by marking the text, then issuing the ww command with the
    -a option.

    The window legend contains a "W" when the window is in word wrap mode.

OPTIONS

  -ON                  Enter word wrap mode.

  -OFF                 Leave word wrap mode.

  -C {xx}              Specify word wrap column. xx = integer

  -A                   Align marked text to current word wrap column.

  -I                   Display information on current word wrap column.

SEE ALSO
     More information is available.  Type the following at an Aegis shell
     prompt:

     help wh             For details about window hold mode

     help ws             For details about window scroll mode

     help wa             For details about window autohold mode

     help dm commands    For a list of other window management commands
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications               OR apcihq!apcidfw!digi!kgallagh

timsc@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM (Tim Schneider) (11/26/90)

I believe there is an option for the dm edit pad
which allows word wrap.  Open an edit pad then set
ww -on from the dm command line or wherever.  Text will
be "wrapped" when the cursor gets to the edge of the pad.

--
Tim Schneider                  Honeywell -- Air Transport Systems Division
Phone:(602)869-3078            US Snail: PO Box 21111 MSK26E2 Phoenix, AZ 85036