[comp.sys.apollo] NFS: SysV/386 to Apollo, a summary

jensen@gandalf.nosc.mil (Layne K. Jensen) (11/23/90)

I recently posted a request for help in getting our NFS connection working
between an Intel SysV/386 machine and our Apollos.  The problem had appeared
to be one of user authentication.

It appears that the problem has been solved, so here is the fix:

The Apollo implementation always requires that the Unix userid and user
number be identical on both systems.  There appears to be no way around this.
Apollo suggests that we use the Apollo command ``import_passwd'' to get the
user numbers the same, and then use ``syncids'' to fix up the file
system afterwards.

Layne Jensen                         jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center           ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA
--

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (11/24/90)

In article <3147@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, jensen@gandalf.nosc.mil (Layne K. Jensen) writes:

  I recently posted a request for help in getting our NFS connection working
  between an Intel SysV/386 machine and our Apollos...
  The Apollo implementation always requires that the Unix userid and user
  number be identical on both systems.  There appears to be no way around this.

I thought this was a restriction in the NFS protocol.  Are there other NFS
implementations that don't require this?

dennis@peanuts (Dennis Cottel) (11/27/90)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
> In article <3147@nosc.NOSC.MIL>, jensen@gandalf.nosc.mil (Layne K. Jensen) writes:
>
>   I recently posted a request for help in getting our NFS connection working
>   between an Intel SysV/386 machine and our Apollos...
>   The Apollo implementation always requires that the Unix userid and user
>   number be identical on both systems.  There appears to be no way around this.

> I thought this was a restriction in the NFS protocol.  Are there other NFS
> implementations that don't require this?

[Note that I work with Layne.]  Well, a user on the Intel could list files
on a mounted Sun directory on which system he had no account whatever.
I have no idea what the protocols say, we were just comparing how things
worked between the systems and assumed Sun must be "truth".

   Dennis Cottel, dennis@NOSC.MIL, (619) 553-1645
   Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152