[comp.sys.apollo] Supposed nasties in MD12 prom...

heinzl_c@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Heinzl) (12/02/90)

Georg,

>Now that I'm at it : Are You also experiencing lots of nasties in the
>MD of the 400t ? 'EX'ing a commandfile, e.g. salvol, leaving it and
>trying to 'EX' another just barks with strange error-messages in Hex.

You don't mention what version of the MD prom you have, but I just performed
the same sequence of instructions (in my case, I used calendar for the
second command, self_test for the third, and domain_os for the fourth,
since you didn't specify exactly what you tried next) and everything worked fine
(using rev 1.4).  What other "nasties" are you experiencing (you DID say lots)???

>Is that why the reset-button is on the front ;-) ?
There's ALSO an "RE" command in the prom.  This command has the advantage of
not executing all the HP reset code performed either during powerup or by hitting
the reset button and therefore takes less time.

-Carl-

 Carl G. Heinzl     Apollo Systems Division of Hewlett Packard
 Chelmsford, MA 01824    Phone:    (508) 256-6600 x2609
 Internet: heinzl_c@apollo.com or heinzl_c@apollo.hp.com
 UUCP:     {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!heinzl_c

chytil@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Chytil Georg) (12/03/90)

In article <4e573c70.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> heinzl_c@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Heinzl) writes:

>>(I wrote :)
>>Now that I'm at it : Are You also experiencing lots of nasties in the
>>MD of the 400t ? 'EX'ing a commandfile, e.g. salvol, leaving it and
>>trying to 'EX' another just barks with strange error-messages in Hex.
>
>You don't mention what version of the MD prom you have, but I just performed
[...]
>(using rev 1.4).  What other "nasties" are you experiencing (you DID say lots)???

I always wondered how Hpollo staff can stand this machines, now I know : You are
privileged in getting the debugged versions ( ;-), but not so funny after all )
AAMOF, our brand-new 400t has MD12 Rev. 1.2, Bootrom Rev. 1.1 .
I performed from the MD-prompt (sketches only)
EX CALENDAR	(works as expected, exiting normal)
EX SELFTEST
	FAULT BUSERR Hex Hex
	Hex 	Hex
		(hangs, reset button, service mode)
BOOT
	Kernel 10.2.4
	PhaseII shell 10.2.4
REBOOT
		(MD-Logo, something like)
	REBOOT
	FOUND DISK
		(hangs, resetting by button)
PNET E
PNET
Eth802.3 blabla
BOOT
		(booting, logging in)
RTSVC
----------
Apollo-token-ring first=primary
ETH802.3_DIOorso_but_not_primary_at_all

Beside the pnet-command, which made me uninstall the token-ring-controller in
order to boot diskless from our ethernet, these 'nasties' are more or less flaws and
glitches, my original posting was more meant as a remark then a complaint or
quest for remedies as far as the MD is concerned. I found them remarkable, however,
since they shed a certain light on the maturity of the product. As a few peronal
replies have shown, these symptoms are familiar to others too.

>>Is that why the reset-button is on the front ;-) ?
>There's ALSO an "RE" command in the prom.  This command has the advantage of
>not executing all the HP reset code performed either during powerup or by hitting
>the reset button and therefore takes less time.
Believe me, I'm already very familiar with this command :-), thus the smiley in
the original.

					Georg

mort@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Moriarty) (12/03/90)

In article <4e573c70.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> heinzl_c@apollo.HP.COM (Carl Heinzl) writes:
>Georg,
>
>>Now that I'm at it : Are You also experiencing lots of nasties in the
>>MD of the 400t ? 'EX'ing a commandfile, e.g. salvol, leaving it and
>>trying to 'EX' another just barks with strange error-messages in Hex.

Don't forget: Always type 'RE' following completion of any 'EX',
'EY', or 'LO' program before doing another.

ARPA: mort@apollo.hp.com        UUCP: ...{decvax, umix, mit-eddie}!apollo!mort
Apollo, a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard, 300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA. 01824
              Argue for your limitations, and they are yours.