[comp.sys.apollo] VI on 3550 - apollo_15_color termcap entry needed

mcanally@swift.cs.tcd.ie (11/29/90)

Would anyone have a correct termcap entry for apollo_15_color monitor on
a 3550, that will work correctly with the VI editor?

At present VI goes into OPEN MODE and a second call to VI hangs the terminal.

Thanks in advance,
 ,
Maire Mc Anally				e-mail: mcanally@cs.tcd.ie
Computer Science Department,
Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (11/30/90)

The Apollo DM (Display Manager) pads do not have any significant terminal
emulation capabilities -- they are essentially dumb terminals. What few
control strings the DM pads do respond to can be found in the documentation
for the PAD_$ calls. Use either /com/vt100 or xterm to run a VT100 terminal
emulator prior to running on a remote system. The Apollo version of vi should
start /com/vt100 prior to starting the actual vi program.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

In article <1990Nov29.115537.7574@swift.cs.tcd.ie> mcanally@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>Would anyone have a correct termcap entry for apollo_15_color monitor on
>a 3550, that will work correctly with the VI editor?

Nope.  You have to use the vt100 emulator (which ought to get loaded
automatically when you run vi - unless you're trying to do it remote).

Someone should create a FAQ list, and at the top it should say:
	Pads are not terminals.
	Workstations were supposed to obsolete terminals.
	But they didn't.
	But pads still aren't terminals.

--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.172831.16283@alphalpha.com>, nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:

  Someone should create a FAQ list, and at the top it should say:

I have added this to the Apollo Q&A file.  Available by ftp from
dabo.ifs.umich.edu.