[comp.sys.apollo] PC-TCP and Apollo

SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) (12/04/90)

I've got a product called PC-TCP for an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with an ethernet
connection. It works fine using ftp and telnet, and the support is there for
NFS.

However, when I try to use the 'imount' command to mount another file system,
the following happens:

The PC side of the connection prompts me for a userid/passwd combo, and then
trys to find an "Authentication Server", which is not running on the Apollo.

Anyone know what it means by Authentication Server? Is there a daemon I should
be running? Is it a standard part of the system release at 9.7? 10.2?

Thanks a lot.
Scott Ferguson
srfergu@erenj.bitnet

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (12/05/90)

In article <9012041421.AA03582@umix.cc.umich.edu> SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:

>I've got a product called PC-TCP for an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with an ethernet

[ text deleted ]

>Anyone know what it means by Authentication Server? Is there a daemon I should
>be running? Is it a standard part of the system release at 9.7? 10.2?

I believe this refers to a daemon, pcnfsd. I believe that
this is provided in souce form with PC-TCP. You copy this
over to the apollos and compile. The problem is that apollo
doesn't provide the necessary rcp library to link to with
their NFS product.. WHY????

Luckily rpclib is available on various archive sites, in
particular uunet. I was able to build it under 10.1.

Dave

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (12/05/90)

In article <9012041421.AA03582@umix.cc.umich.edu> SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:

>I've got a product called PC-TCP for an IBM PS/2 Model 50 with an ethernet
>connection. It works fine using ftp and telnet, and the support is there for
>NFS.
>
>However, when I try to use the 'imount' command to mount another file system,
>the following happens:
>
>The PC side of the connection prompts me for a userid/passwd combo, and then
>trys to find an "Authentication Server", which is not running on the Apollo.
>
>Anyone know what it means by Authentication Server? Is there a daemon I should
>be running? Is it a standard part of the system release at 9.7? 10.2?

The NFS side on the UniX-system requires that the person requesting the files
has made himself know to that system. For this the Unix ID's are used, but
since a PC is a rather simple device ;-) it does not have any clues about it.
So it has to ask the UniX-box wat to use, hence the login-procedure.

The login is serviced by a deamon which comes with the SUN-PCNFS stuff.
I don't know weather there are any sources available for this.
I do know that once you really want to run this that more things have to be
ajusted ( read recompiled ) Before I went on vacation I remember recompiling
one of the parts of an PD-availble SUN package which is required for running
the whole ordeal.

It is not part of any system release, and I don't know if you can get it
to run on 9.7.

There's been a few articles on this "long" time ago. If you give me time enough
I can look them up. (We've got all comp.sys.apollo since march '90)

On the other hand are there people who have done this before. Maybe they could
come up with a read-do-ready-go paper, which will tell you: What to get and
where. How to patch it. And How to install it.

Ciao
	Willem Jan Withagen.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (12/05/90)

In article <666@tron.UUCP>, kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) writes:

  The problem is that apollo
  doesn't provide the necessary rcp library to link to with
  their NFS product.. WHY????

Why the hell should they?  They ship a much better RPC with NCS.  If you
don't like it you can get the sources for Sun RPC and use that.

If they did ship it you'd be complaining about how it's not the latest
version.

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (12/07/90)

In article <4e6a41b1.1bc5b@pisa.ifs.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>In article <666@tron.UUCP>, kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) writes:
>
>  The problem is that apollo
>  doesn't provide the necessary rcp library to link to with
>  their NFS product.. WHY????
>
>Why the hell should they?  They ship a much better RPC with NCS.  If you
>don't like it you can get the sources for Sun RPC and use that.

I wasn't trying to compare sunrpc with ncs, my point was
that if I have a pc running some type of NFS and I wanted to
hook that to the apollo I would get NFS for the apollos. I'd
expect the NFS product to include the rpc library, or at
least be able to get it thru apollo. I was told that this is
not the case. You have to get the code from elsewhere. The
rpc library is needed to build the pcnfsd daemon on the
apollo.