[comp.sys.apollo] SYS5 and TCP/IP

SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) (12/05/90)

I colleague of mine has a DN3500 connected to a Chromotography system
that he purchased as a turnkey system from a company called PHI systems.

All that aside, the system is installed with Aegis 9.7.5, and SYS5 Domain/IX,
not BSD4.2.

He's got ethernet connections, and wants to do simple telnet and ftp to
some other systems, but SYS5 doesn't appear to have things like telnet,
telnetd, or other things. The release tape for TCP_BSD rev 3.1 has a minimal
amount of stuff, not including telnet and telnetd, or inetd.

How do SYS5 people operate with a network and TCP, or do they? My Stardent
computer is a SYS5 system, but it's got all of the TCP stuff needed.

Is there a TCP product for SYS5 Domain/IX? I know, our favorite company
probably wouldn't ship me anything anyway, but scr## them anyway.

What can I do, short of installing BSD4.2 on his system? I'd also prefer
not to use the Aegis kludge of TCP, I've finally cured myself of that mistake.

Thanks,
Scott Ferguson
srfergu@erenj.bitnet

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (12/05/90)

At SR9.x, TCP/IP was a seperate product. You had to buy a license for
either the Aegis version or the Unix (BSD, I think?) version. One of the
nice things about SR10.x was that Apollo bundled TCP with the base OS
(although they unbundled GMR 2-D at the same time, so your software
licensing cost remained constant -:( ). There are no TCP/IP products for
SR9.x that I am aware of other than Apollo's versions.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (12/06/90)

In article <9012050023.AA27474@umix.cc.umich.edu> SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:

>All that aside, the system is installed with Aegis 9.7.5, and SYS5 Domain/IX,
>not BSD4.2.

>How do SYS5 people operate with a network and TCP, or do they? My Stardent
>computer is a SYS5 system, but it's got all of the TCP stuff needed.

>Is there a TCP product for SYS5 Domain/IX? I know, our favorite company
>probably wouldn't ship me anything anyway, but scr## them anyway.

>What can I do, short of installing BSD4.2 on his system? I'd also prefer
>not to use the Aegis kludge of TCP, I've finally cured myself of that mistake.

At 9.7.x you've got to buy tcp/ip as a optional product.
There's two versions, one for aegis, one for bsd4.2
domain/ix. THe bsd version, of course, requires you to
first install bsd domain/ix. I'd say you're stuck with the
aegis configuration unless you can move to a later release
of the OS, say 10.3 where tcp/ip is included as part of the
OS.

Dave

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail

scott@labtam.labtam.oz (Scott Colwell) (12/06/90)

SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:
>All that aside, the system is installed with Aegis 9.7.5, and SYS5 Domain/IX,
>not BSD4.2.
>He's got ethernet connections, and wants to do simple telnet and ftp to
>some other systems, but SYS5 doesn't appear to have things like telnet,
>telnetd, or other things. The release tape for TCP_BSD rev 3.1 has a minimal
>amount of stuff, not including telnet and telnetd, or inetd.

Our apollos had 9.7.5 (or was is it 6?) with SYS5 Domain/IX istalled with
ethernet before Mentor went to SR10.1. This was with Mentor version 6.1.
You can install either the Aegis TCP/IP or the BSD TCP/IP.  We used the BSD
one and it _did_ have all the expected stuff like telnet and ftp. I can't
remember if it had inetd but I think it did.

Telnet and ftp were both buggy but they sort of worked.

I'm sorry that I can't be more accurate....

--
Scott Colwell
Labtam Information Systems P/L	net:	scott@labtam.oz.au

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (12/07/90)

In article <9012050023.AA27474@umix.cc.umich.edu>,
SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:

|> All that aside, the system is installed with Aegis 9.7.5, and SYS5
Domain/IX,
|> not BSD4.2.
|>
|> He's got ethernet connections, and wants to do simple telnet and ftp to
|> some other systems, but SYS5 doesn't appear to have things like telnet,
|> telnetd, or other things. The release tape for TCP_BSD rev 3.1 has a minimal
|> amount of stuff, not including telnet and telnetd, or inetd.

TCP/IP was sold as a separate product on pre-sr10 releases; the tcp_bsd
you have
is to allow line printer services (which require ip) to work under
Domain/IX bsd4.2 .
(Ah, nostalgia.....).

|> Is there a TCP product for SYS5 Domain/IX? I know, our favorite company
|> probably wouldn't ship me anything anyway, but scr## them anyway.

ouch.

|> What can I do, short of installing BSD4.2 on his system? I'd also prefer
|> not to use the Aegis kludge of TCP, I've finally cured myself of that
mistake.

Make certain that you have a /sys/tcp directory on the node -- if not,
you don't have
the tcp/ip layered product and will need to get it installed.  You will
STILL need
the bsd4.2 environment installed, since the clients and servers will
have a bsd4.2
systype, and will look under /bsd4.2 for things like hosts and
hosts.equiv files,
etc.  The SYS5 environment didn't get it's "own" tcp/ip support until sr10.

|> Thanks,

you're welcome.

|> Scott Ferguson
|> srfergu@erenj.bitnet

...walt...

Walt Weber                           Hewlett Packard Response Center
508-256-6600x8315                    Chelmsford, MA, USA
"Pads are not terminals. Workstations were supposed to obsolete terminals.
 But they didn't. But pads still aren't terminals.  -Kee Hinckley"

scott@labtam.labtam.oz (Scott Colwell) (12/07/90)

Due to a poor memory I made the following incorrect statement:

In article <5711@labtam.labtam.oz>, scott@labtam.labtam.oz (Scott Colwell) writes:
> Our apollos had 9.7.5 (or was is it 6?) with SYS5 Domain/IX istalled with
                                               ^^^^
> ethernet before Mentor went to SR10.1. This was with Mentor version 6.1.
> You can install either the Aegis TCP/IP or the BSD TCP/IP.  We used the BSD
> one and it _did_ have all the expected stuff like telnet and ftp. I can't
> remember if it had inetd but I think it did.

In fact we had the BSD4.2 environment of Domain/IX installed because we
wanted to use the BSD version of TCP/IP rather than the Aegis vesrion. The
comments on the bugs still stand.  We now have SR10 with SYS5 loaded because
we are a SYS5 house. (member of Unix International, selling SVR4 machines etc.)

Sorry for any confusion.