[comp.sys.apollo] gcc for Apollo using COFF patches -help needed

rn@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (bob nutter) (12/04/90)

Has anyone managed to get a version of gcc to compile on Apollos (specifically
dn3000's and dn4000's @ sr10.1 in my case) with the COFF patches to gcc and
gas (etc) on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in order to produce dbx output? I get as
far as compiling gnulib2 (with the patched assembler) when it produces errors
such as:

_adddi3
/usr/tmp/cca07838.s:7:"instruction/operands mismatch"
    -- Statement 'link a6,#-48' ignored

-With my previous version of gas (using John Vasta's patches) I get a gnulib
archive with ./gcc producing 'sun old impure executables (68020)' mixed with
the COFF apollo-cc ones :^(

I suspect that it's something in config/tm-apollo68.h that is fouling things
up but I've been staring at this for so long now I need a prod in the right
direction...

bob
bob nutter, computer officer    |  "They're *all* Gods!", she cried.
UMIST dept of computation       |  "-You've got to wash up the
po box 88 manchester m60 1qd uk |   whole bloody lot!"
tel:+44 61 200 3386             |        -Ivor Cutler, `Bad Eye'
email:b.nutter@umist.ac.uk      |

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec4.152729@ap.co.umist.ac.uk> rn@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (bob nutter) writes:
>Has anyone managed to get a version of gcc to compile on Apollos (specifically
>dn3000's and dn4000's @ sr10.1 in my case) with the COFF patches to gcc and
>gas (etc) on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in order to produce dbx output? I get as
>far as compiling gnulib2 (with the patched assembler) when it produces errors
>such as:
>
>_adddi3
>/usr/tmp/cca07838.s:7:"instruction/operands mismatch"
>    -- Statement 'link a6,#-48' ignored

I've got Mike Bloom's COFF/DBX patches worked into gas-1.36, gas-1.37, and the
latest test release of gcc here (on it's way to gcc-1.38). I did have to make
some changes to them, and yes, you have to come up with a whole new tm-apollo68.h
file. I've been planning to release all this stuff when gcc-1.38 is released,
which seems to be taking some time (it appears that it's getting close now).
I don't have gdb running yet, but hope to in the near future.

>-With my previous version of gas (using John Vasta's patches) I get a gnulib
>archive with ./gcc producing 'sun old impure executables (68020)' mixed with
>the COFF apollo-cc ones :^(

Gee, I don't even know what this means.

>I suspect that it's something in config/tm-apollo68.h that is fouling things
>up but I've been staring at this for so long now I need a prod in the right
>direction...

Sorry I can't give you any specific help, and I'm not prepared to release
my stuff yet, but there is a lot of work to do to get the COFF/DBX stuff in.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHR-03-DW
(508) 256-6600 x5978      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta