[comp.sys.apollo] troff to PS

bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) (10/24/90)

I'm looking for a tr2ps ( troff to PostScript ) program ...
Is there a machine where I could anonymous FTP it ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr                     |                                     |
Frank Bonnet                             | Surfing ...                         |
E.S.I.E.E                                |                                     |
BP99 93162 Noisy le Grand cedex.FRANCE.  | the rest is details !               |
Fax   : 33 1 45 92 66 99                 |                                     |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

ps : thanks.

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (10/25/90)

In article <9010241422.AB01102@apo.esiee.fr> bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) writes:

   I'm looking for a tr2ps ( troff to PostScript ) program ...
   Is there a machine where I could anonymous FTP it ?

One solution may be to get groff:  the GNU version of troff.  I know
for sure that groff can produce DVI files (the output format of TeX),
and dvi-to-PostScript drivers are plenty.  Maybe groff can make
PostScript directly; I don't know.  You should be able to pick it up
from GNUs home (prep.ai.mit.edu if I am not mistaken) or any other
site that keeps GNU software.

Caveat:  groff is said to be written in C++.  I haven't tried to
compile it with Apollos C++; has anyone else out there tried?  It is
on my list of things to try some day but I haven't got the time (yet).
Or you might try g++ instead (anyone tried g++ on an Apollo?)

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

   ps : thanks.

You're welcome.

hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de (Martin Anantharaman) (10/26/90)

[...]

I have installed groff with the Apollo C++ (c++.v.2.0.0) and only very
minor modifications were necessary: Some missing function prototypes if
you are in the BSD4.3 environment, customization of flags and printing
commands etc.

Martin Anantharaman

FB7, FG7 (Mechanik)		Work:	+49 (203) 379-3336
Universitaet -GH- Duisburg	Home:	+49 (203) 37 65 89
Lotharstr. 1			FAX:	+49 (203) 379-3052
4100 Duisburg 1			E-Mail: hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de
West Germany

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (12/06/90)

This letter I got from you is getting old:

   Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 12:01:19 +0100
   From: hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de (Martin Anantharaman)

I finally found some time to try compiling troff.  You said

   I have installed groff with the Apollo C++ (c++.v.2.0.0) and only very
   minor modifications were necessary: Some missing function prototypes if
   you are in the BSD4.3 environment, customization of flags and printing
   commands etc.

However, it looks like ccxx insists that any file ending in .c is a
plain C file, not a C++ file, and so it invokes the ordinary C
compiler.  Needless to say, this breaks everything.  How did you get
around this problem?  I suppose you could rename every *.c file to
*.cxx and edit all the Makefiles, but I don't relish the thought.  If
you found a more elegant solution, I would like to hear it.

Thanks for your trouble,

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (12/06/90)

In article <9012061413.AA10010@hufsa>,
hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:
> However, it looks like ccxx insists that any file ending in .c is a
> plain C file, not a C++ file, and so it invokes the ordinary C
> compiler.

Indeed, which is (one reason) why you should upgrade to Apollo C++ 2.0.
It behaves in a much more reasonable fashion WRT filename suffixes, not to
mention implementing a far more current version of the language.

-Glenn-

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (12/07/90)

In article <9012061413.AA10010@hufsa> hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:
>This letter I got from you is getting old:
>
>   Date: Fri, 26 Oct 90 12:01:19 +0100
>   From: hj412fr@duc220.uni-duisburg.de (Martin Anantharaman)
>
>I finally found some time to try compiling troff.  You said
>
>   I have installed groff with the Apollo C++ (c++.v.2.0.0) and only very
>   minor modifications were necessary: Some missing function prototypes if
>   you are in the BSD4.3 environment, customization of flags and printing
>   commands etc.
>
>However, it looks like ccxx insists that any file ending in .c is a
>plain C file, not a C++ file, and so it invokes the ordinary C
>compiler.  Needless to say, this breaks everything.  How did you get
>around this problem?  I suppose you could rename every *.c file to
>*.cxx and edit all the Makefiles, but I don't relish the thought.  If
>you found a more elegant solution, I would like to hear it.

If you have the last release of ccxx (Domain/C++ V1.2.2) you can
say "ccxx @.cxx=.c" to change the expected C++ filename extension
from .cxx to .c. But if groff is expecting C++ 2.0 behavior, you
probably won't get very far. Domain/C++ V2.0.0 allows any file
with an extension starting with 'c' or 'C' to be a C++ file.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHR-03-DW
(508) 256-6600 x5978      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta