[comp.sys.apollo] Appletalk on Apollo?

chet@Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) (12/05/90)

Hi.
	I may be getting to take home a DN3000. It'll have Domain_OS
10.2 with a minimal BSD configuration. ( I hope it fits on its 80 MB
disk :-)

	Is there any way to network it with my Mac plus (other than
kermit?)

Thanks for any suggestions.

chet.
--
Chet Wood                       ~                         (408)727-3357 X269
   chet@Advansoft.Com    .  Advansoft Research Corporation

In article <CHET.90Dec4122411@mars.Advansoft.COM> chet@Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) writes:
>Hi.
>	I may be getting to take home a DN3000. It'll have Domain_OS
>10.2 with a minimal BSD configuration. ( I hope it fits on its 80 MB
>disk :-)
>
>	Is there any way to network it with my Mac plus (other than
>kermit?)

There are third-party AppleTalk solutions that run on Domain/OS,
unfortunately I don't recall the company names, but there are
several companies that do this kind of gateway.  You can also
get an ethernet card for the Mac, in which case you may be able
to run CAP, which I believe is a PD program that provides
AppleTalk compatibility over ethernet (anyone have it running
on the Apollo?).

Frankly though, I think your biggest problem is going to be that
80meg disk.  I have trouble getting by on 120.  If you don't do
any software collection/development you might be okay.

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) (12/06/90)

You should check the uShare ($1,200) product by IPT (1-800-233-
9993).  It creates a folder on your Mac filled with the Apollo's
files.  You can either use ethernet or purchase an Appletalk
interface (~$400) for your DN3000.

Kent Kuriyama                          Voice (808) 257-1618
Naval Ocean Systems Center             FAX   (808) 257-1685
Hawaii Laboratory                      Box 997, Code 531
kent@nosc.mil                          Kailua, HI   96734

--------
Date: 4 Dec 90 20:24:11 GMT
From: chet%arc.uucp@apple.com  (Chet Wood)
Subject: Appletalk on Apollo?
To: apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu

In article <9012052305.AA16520@humu.nosc.mil> kent@HUMU.NOSC.MIL (Kent K. Kuriyama) writes:
>You should check the uShare ($1,200) product by IPT (1-800-233-
>9993).  It creates a folder on your Mac filled with the Apollo's
>files.  You can either use ethernet or purchase an Appletalk
>interface (~$400) for your DN3000.

BTW.  Most of the AppleShare products (including uShare, last time
I checked) only support Mac AppleShare protocol, the full protocol
also includes support for Apple II's.  Frankly I'd love to have
my Apple II linked to my Apollo (it would make running my BBS
*much* easier).  Does anyone know of a solution that handles the II
as well?