[comp.sys.apollo] Modifications to a DN3xx?

gk06@umd5.umd.edu (David O. Dodge) (12/09/90)

Okay, so here's the deal...

In a few days I will be acquiring three DN300's (with three disk units). I
intend to make a few "modifications" to these units and would appreciate
any comments (besides "Throw them out" :-) or advice on the following
matters:

 1) I know these things draw a great deal of power. I am intending to
    do two things to "help" in this regard:

    - I have access to 220V lines in my house. I should be able to get some
      improvement by raising the nodes (and possibly disk units) up to 220
      power. I have a copy of the "troubleshooter's" manual, and what I need
      to know is if there is any additional hardware required to make this
      transition. Is re-jumpering the power supply connectors and rewiring the
      fan connecter all that needs to be done? How does the power cord need
      to be wired? What about the disk unit? Different fuses needed?

    - I intend to install a separate power switch for the monitor. I will
      either install a second switch between the existing power switch and
      the monitor fuse, or cut the existing line from the power switch to the
      monitor fuse and install a new one connecting the fuse directly to the
      power cord. Is there any problem in doing this? Has anyone else ever
      done this? Which way do you think would be "better" (I'll probably use
      the first)?

 2) These units use 8-inch floppy drives (yuck!). Is there a *simple* way to
    replace the 8-inch drive with either a 5.25 or 3.5 drive? I don't care if
    it can't access the entire disk due to track/sector count problems, I am
    just looking for something that doesn't require me to dig up 8-inch floppy
    disks for backup purposes.

 3) These units use big, noisy, low-capacity power-sucking hard drives. How
    about replacements for these?

Before you either help or ridicule me, I want to let you know the following:

 - I realize that these nodes are WAY outdated. I just like Apollos a great
   deal and can't pass up the chance to have some for home use (I certainly
   can't afford any new ones)

 - I realize that running any version SR10 or above is virtually impossible
   (and impractical) on these nodes.

 - I realize that hardware/software support is pretty much out of the question.
   That's okay anyway because I couldn't possibly afford it if it is available.

 - I have not yet actually seen the units in question (although I have looked
   over some DN330's at work). All of my technical information comes from
   the troubleshooting guide.

 - I am not a hardware engineer, so if I made any stupid assumptions in the
   above modification plan, please let me know.

If you have any other ideas for improvements to these machines (are upgrade
kits available anywhere?), PLEASE let me know. Any advice or ideas greatly
appreciated.

                                                 Dave Dodge
                                             gk06@umd5.umd.edu
                                   (University of Maryland, College Park)

In article <7692@umd5.umd.edu> gk06@umd5.umd.edu (David O. Dodge) writes:
> - I realize that running any version SR10 or above is virtually impossible
>   (and impractical) on these nodes.

I once considered doing this at home with the same configuration
(3 300s).  With judicious use of links  you probably have enough
space to spread the OS across all three machines.  I don't think it
would be very fun though.  Good luck.
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.