[comp.sys.apollo] HP400 licensing ids

dickhoff@Synopsys.COM (John Dickhoff) (12/12/90)

The HP400 machines support both Domain/OS and HP-UX.
We currently use Domain/OS nodeids to node-lock license
DN platforms and HP-UX ID Module ids to node-lock
license HP300 platforms.  Is there a way in HP-UX
to get the Domain/OS nodeid?  Is there one unique id
we can use to license both Domain/OS and HP-UX on HP400s?

dennis@nosc.mil (Dennis Cottel) (12/12/90)

dickhoff@Synopsys.COM (John Dickhoff) writes:
> The HP400 machines support both Domain/OS and HP-UX.
> We currently use Domain/OS nodeids to node-lock license
> DN platforms and HP-UX ID Module ids to node-lock
> license HP300 platforms.  Is there a way in HP-UX
> to get the Domain/OS nodeid?  Is there one unique id
> we can use to license both Domain/OS and HP-UX on HP400s?

Please, please: do *not* use node locking!  I know it seems like a good
idea at first, but believe me, on a network you lose sales.  How could
that be?  Because users can't share applications, so we won't buy into
your product.  For example, we would have been using Interleaf from day
one of our Apollo network, but we couldn't justify a dozen or more
licenses for a tool that no one really used at the time.  And it made
no sense to buy one or two licenses, since our users need to be able to
share documents, or pass them off for another user to work on.
Consequently, we used troff for years.  If we could have bought a
couple licenses and timeshared them, I am convinced that users' demand
would have shown a need for more copies and we would now have nearly
one license per workstation.

   Dennis Cottel, dennis@NOSC.MIL, (619) 553-1645
   Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA  92152

dickhoff@Synopsys.COM (John Dickhoff) (12/13/90)

We actually provide both, node locking and network licensing.
However, even in network licensing, you have the need to
"node lock" the license server machines.  So this doesn't
remove the possible desire to have a common unique number
that is the same for both Domain/OS and HP-UX on HP400s.