[comp.sys.apollo] 10K power supply problem

waldram@WOLF.UWYO.EDU (12/07/90)

FYI:
  DN 10000 owners:
   We have experienced some severe power supply shutdown problems
on our 10K.  Symptoms are:
   1) System loses main power.
   2) Standby lamp on front pannel lit
   3) Error status 30 (HEX) on EuroCard power supply plugged into
      the bottom of the X bus.

   There is a SERVICE NOTE on the +5 V portion of the 10k
power supplies dated 18 June 1990.  A summary of the text follows:

DN100X0/DSP100X0
Serial Numbers: All

Date Code: All +5 Volt Booster Modules with 1988 Date Codes
Performed By: HP/Apollo Qualified Service Personnel Only
Parts Required: +5 Volt, 150W Control Module (APN 010524-001)

Situation:
A problem has been identified with the DN100X0/DSP100X0 power sys-
tems in both Manufacturing and the Field. The power system shuts down
due to a +5 Volt OV (Over Voltage) failure.

Having evaluated several Power EuroCards from Manufacturing and
returns from the field, R&D has identified an oscillation on some of the
+5 Volt Booster DC/DC Converters.  This oscillation forces the +5V
output voltage to exceed +5.3V dc and the microprocessor shuts down
the power system.

After having tested different +5 Volt Booster Module configurations,
R&D has concluded that Booster Modules with 1988 Datecodes are the
direct cause of the +5 Volt OV (overvoltage failures).

                             -jjw
waldram@grizzly.uwyo.edu
jwaldram@outlaw.uwyo.edu
jwaldram@UWYO.BITNET

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (12/08/90)

In article <9012070028.AA04240@wolf.Uwyo.EDU> waldram@WOLF.UWYO.EDU writes:

   FYI:
     DN 10000 owners:
      We have experienced some severe power supply shutdown problems
   on our 10K.  Symptoms are:
      1) System loses main power.
      2) Standby lamp on front pannel lit
      3) Error status 30 (HEX) on EuroCard power supply plugged into
	 the bottom of the X bus.

Yes, we have seen that.  Someone may find our cure for the problem
amusing: Just removing one of the 5V so-called booster modules cured
the problem.  Of course, this was done by our qualified HP service
technician who determined that there would still be plenty of spare
capacity for our configuration.  The reason it works is supposed to be
something like: With fewer modules, they work harder, and so are less
likely to exhibit the problematic oscillations.

Something to consider for other unfortunate souls with this problem,
without a service contract, and spare capcacity in the yposer supply.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (12/08/90)

In article <9012070028.AA04240@wolf.Uwyo.EDU> waldram@WOLF.UWYO.EDU writes:
>FYI:
>  DN 10000 owners:
>   We have experienced some severe power supply shutdown problems
>on our 10K.  Symptoms are:
>   1) System loses main power.
>   2) Standby lamp on front pannel lit
>   3) Error status 30 (HEX) on EuroCard power supply plugged into
>      the bottom of the X bus.
>
>Situation:
>A problem has been identified with the DN100X0/DSP100X0 power sys-
>tems in both Manufacturing and the Field. The power system shuts down
>due to a +5 Volt OV (Over Voltage) failure.
>
>After having tested different +5 Volt Booster Module configurations,
>R&D has concluded that Booster Modules with 1988 Datecodes are the
>direct cause of the +5 Volt OV (overvoltage failures).

We have had our power supply replaced 4 times in 2 years with exactly
this problem - does anyone know what, if any, revision of this board
fixes the problem (our board went from Rev 2 to Rev 4 when it was
replaced last week - are we now "protected")?
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (12/11/90)

> Yes, we have seen that.  Someone may find our cure for the problem
> amusing: Just removing one of the 5V so-called booster modules cured
> the problem.

I've also heard that there are two schemes for the power supply "Bricks".
In one scheme, _one_ brick acts as the master, and all the others as slaves.
Only the master needs to have a correct output to drive the others.  In
some cases, swapping bricks will cure the problem.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (12/13/90)

In article <101020016@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:

   > Yes, we have seen that.  Someone may find our cure for the problem
   > amusing: Just removing one of the 5V so-called booster modules cured
   > the problem.

   I've also heard that there are two schemes for the power supply "Bricks".
   In one scheme, _one_ brick acts as the master, and all the others as slaves.
   Only the master needs to have a correct output to drive the others.  In
   some cases, swapping bricks will cure the problem.

The part about masters and slaves was unknown to me.  But I neglected
to ention that we also tried removing another brick and put the one
first removed back in, and the machine still ran without a problem.
Only with all modules present does it shut off (after about twenty
minutes or so).