[comp.sys.apollo] Ethernet boards for DN4500

moore@esseye.UUCP (David Moore) (12/07/90)

Anyone know where I can get 15 Ethernet (802.3) boards for some
Apollo DN4500s.

--
David Moore                    | moore@si.com
Smiths Industries              |

thompson@ELROND.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (12/07/90)

> Anyone know where I can get 15 Ethernet (802.3) boards for some
> Apollo DN4500s.
If you need to run Domain across them, HP/Apollo.

If you're running TCP/IP services only on them, you can get
them from HP/Apollo or else get the 3COM AT-bus ethernet
card from any local warehouse (or 3COM), and save some bucks.

-- jt --
John Thompson (jt)
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

As ever, my opinions do not necessarily agree with Honeywell's or reality's.
(Honeywell's do not necessarily agree with mine or reality's, either)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (12/07/90)

In article <9012070507.AA27793@pan.ssec.honeywell.com>, thompson@ELROND.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:

  > Anyone know where I can get 15 Ethernet (802.3) boards for some
  > Apollo DN4500s.
  If you need to run Domain across them, HP/Apollo.

  If you're running TCP/IP services only on them, you can get
  them from HP/Apollo or else get the 3COM AT-bus ethernet
  card from any local warehouse (or 3COM), and save some bucks.

Actually, you can run Domain services and everything else on a 3-Com 505
ethernet board that you buy from 3-Com.  The only things that don't work are
boot ROM things like booting diskless and making system dumps over the
ether.

I've found that with educational discounts they aren't any cheaper from
3-Com, so we just buy them from Apollo.  But if you don't get the discount,
it may be cheaper to buy from 3-Com.  I think Apollo's price is around
$1000, 3-Com's is around $650.  Note that you can't use any of the cheaper
boards like the 501.  That's because they don't have the buffering and
on-board smarts required.

I've added the 505 board switch settings to the docs on dabo.ifs.umich.edu.

moore@esseye.UUCP (David Moore) (12/14/90)

Thanks to all who provided input on my request for recommendations
on where to get Ethernet boards for our leased DN4500's.

It seems that all the vendors that I contacted have an agreed upon
price -- at least that's the way it appears since they all quoted
the same price - $900. Since my lease is for 9 months, and Mentor
Graphics will charge me $100/mo., we'll just lease the boards.

-david