[comp.sys.apollo] No Mentor V8.0 on the DN10000 !! and ties to 'no Domain/OS on HP-PA'

chew@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM (Mike Chew) (12/12/90)

Mentor Graphics has announced that they will not support V8.0 on the DN10000 !
Mentor's rationalization is tied to HP's RISC workstation strategy.  Let me
first explain our case (I hope someone at Mentor sees this).

We just installed an Idea Station DN10020 five months ago and Mentor is telling
us it's obsolete with release 8.0 !  Since V8.0 ships in Q1 1991, this is a
lifespan of 7 months for this hardware !  The DN10000 was first supported by
Mentor with the current V7.0 release.  The obsolescense of the DN10K with
V8.0 signifies that it's the first Apollo workstation that only works with only
ONE version of their application; a first for Mentor !

My biggest hangup is that Mentor actually PROMOTED the DN10K earlier this
year with the "DN10000 Performance Advantage" program.  It was a promotion
that offered sharp discounts on their inflated prices with a "hurry-up-and-buy"
time limit.  Now here's the tie-in to HP:

At the time I realized that a 2nd generation Apollo-PRISM (and HP-PA) was in
the works for '91 but I expected the PRISM to be supported by this major
EDA vendor.  Also, there were re-assuring signals from HP/Apollo:

The Feb. 1990 issue of Workstation magazine (p.15) inferred from Bob Weinberger,
manager of systems product marketing for HP's Workstation Group, that:
"...HP will not force Apollo customers to move to the new RISC machines."
and "...the Apollo Divison does not expect to encounter any major problems in
porting the Domain/OS environment to the new HPPA workstations."

But recent developments reversed that decision:

thompson@ELROND.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:
	John Thompson <thompson@elrond.ssec.honeywell.com>
	Thu, 29 Nov 90 13:48:15 -0600
	article <9011291948.AA06247@pan.ssec.honeywell.com>

>The December, 1990 _Workstation_ magazine has an article on OSF,
>the new RISC boxes, the future of Domain/OS, and other miscellaneous
>news sprinkled within.  In it (along with the _BAD_ news about OSF only
[...]
>The current plan has several modifications, besides corrections of
>timeframe (I don't know about everyone else, but in my opinion, there's
>"lies, damn-lies, benchmarks, and release-dates," in that order).
>Again, basically, they dropped Domain/OS from the 2nd generation HPPA
>                       ======= ========= ==== === === ==========
>machine, dropped OSF from the DN10000 (this is one of the things they
>reversed, I think?), changed a "definite" recompile-and-run from the
>DN10000 -> 3rd generation RISC into a "maybe" recompile-and-run, and
>dropped Domain/OS from the 3rd generation RISC platform.
>======= ========= ==== === === ==========

Now Mentor rationalizes that V8.0 won't run on the DN10K because of the
following (from a memo we received from Mentor):

"We have just reviewed HP's future workstation direction as they relate to
Mentor Graphics existing and future HP product offerings.  One of the findings
was that by mid-'91 it would be evident that the DN10K did not have a viable
future.  As a result, Mentor Graphics has made the decision not to support
the DN10000 with V8.0"

"Some of the factors that influenced this decision include HP's future RISC
workstation strategy which is based on their PA-RISC architecture instead of
PRISM.  HP also does not plan to port OSF to the DN10K, although they will
offer it on other workstations in 1991.  OSF is HP's and Mentor Graphics'
strategic Direction in operating systems.  In addition, the earliest that
Mentor Graphics would have been able to make v8.0 available on the DN10K was
2nd half '91, at which point in time we believe the limited life of the DN10K
would have become evident to customers."

Then it goes on to say that they will support the 2nd-generation DN10K and is
working on a DN10K trade-in program.  Support of the 2nd-generation DN10K
was expected because in their July 1989 "Vision" magazine (p5):
"...Mentor Graphics will also support planned enhancements to the Apollo
Series 10000 family" so they've committed to it.  The trade-in program remains
to be seen.

Lets take a look at Mentor's reasonings:

>>Rationalization (1):
>>    HP also does not plan to port OSF to the DN10K ...
>>    ..OSF is HP's and Mentor Graphics' strategic Direction in OS ....

OSF also won't run on any machines below a DN5500 (thanks HP), following
Mentor's logic to conclusion, then V8.0 will also not run on the following:
    DN3000 (V8.0 documentation OKs it for occasional Neted use)
    DN3500
    DN3550
    DN4000
    DN4500
Yet, Mentor plans to support these machines at V8.0 !

At V8.0 Mentor plans to support the SUN workstation.  But who plans to port OSF
to the SUN ??!!  Obviousy OSF is not a decisive factor.  Could it be they
really meant OSF/Motif ?  No, because OSF/Motif runs on the DN10000 !

>>Rationalization (2):
>>    ..by mid-'91 it would be evident that the DN10K did not have a viable
>>    future... (2nd generation HPPA released)
>>    ..HP's future RISC workstation strategy .. based on their PA-RISC instead
>>    of PRISM ...

But the 2nd generation HP-PA only runs OSF/1 or HP-UX !  No Domain/OS (thanks
again HP)!  OSF/1 can't possibly be stable enough for a production environment
by mid. 1991 ! (I sure wouldn't want to rely on it).  V8.0 running OSF/2 is a
better bet.  Furthermore, what site will place an HPPA running OSF/1 in a
network of Domain/OS ?  They won't even interoperate in the network until
SR11 + DCE !!.

This leaves HP-UX.  Does this mean V8.0 will run on HP-UX ?!!  Hard to believe.
Or could it be that Mentor has chosen the SUN Sparc as it's future RISC and
blown off HP/Apollo RISC ?   HP, see what you've done by not supporting
Domain/OS on the HPPA ?  I hate to say it, but if we're still with Mentor
next year, we'll follow them to the SUN SPARC camp for performance reasons.

Okay Mentor, if you've decided to favor SPARC, how does that resolve with
Rationalization (1) ?

I think Mentor will have to support HP-PA one way or another, otherwise they
won't be able to run V8.0 on any RISC machine.  The SPARC port will be slightly
delayed anyway so that's not an immediate solution for the Domain/OS sites.
But I'll bet their priority will put SPARC ahead of HP-PA.

In summary, if I can give a message to Mentor and HP:

Mentor: Your decision not to support V8.0 on the DN10K is premature.  There
        are too many unknowns !

HP:     Your decision to not port Domain/OS to the HP-PA is causing turmoil !

Mike J. Chew                        Honeywell -- Air Transport Systems Division
Phone: 602.436.1311                   P.O. Box 21111 M/S P26D3 Phoenix AZ 85036
FAX:   602.436.2252
Internet: @cim-vax.honeywell.com:chew@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com
UUCP: ...!uunet!asuvax!apciphx!hwcae!chew

In article <9012112042.AA10927@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com> chew@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM (Mike Chew) writes:
>Mentor: Your decision not to support V8.0 on the DN10K is premature.  There
>        are too many unknowns !
>
>HP:     Your decision to not port Domain/OS to the HP-PA is causing turmoil !

I saw a blurb in either Unix Today or UnixWorld that mentioned that
while many workstation users were going multivendor, they still tended
to have strong loyalties to their primary vendor.  The one exception was
HP, where more than 50% of the customers surveyed said that if they
had the chance to make the decision again they would go with someone
else.  There's a message there somewhere.
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

burdick@hpspdra.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) (12/15/90)

> I saw a blurb in either Unix Today or UnixWorld that mentioned that
> while many workstation users were going multivendor, they still tended
> to have strong loyalties to their primary vendor.  The one exception was
> HP, where more than 50% of the customers surveyed said that if they
> had the chance to make the decision again they would go with someone
> else.

I don't remember seeing this - could you be a bit more specific where
I could find it?

						-matt
--
Matt Burdick                |   Hewlett-Packard
burdick@hpspd.spd.hp.com    |   Intelligent Networks Operation

In article <13730009@hpspdra.HP.COM> burdick@hpspdra.HP.COM (Matt Burdick) writes:
>> I saw a blurb in either Unix Today or UnixWorld that mentioned that
>> while many workstation users were going multivendor, they still tended
>> to have strong loyalties to their primary vendor.  The one exception was
>> HP, where more than 50% of the customers surveyed said that if they
>> had the chance to make the decision again they would go with someone
>> else.
>
>I don't remember seeing this - could you be a bit more specific where
>I could find it?

Unix Today, Dec 10 Issue.  Page 10, last paragraph of an article
entitled "Workstation Spending Cut, Report Says".