[comp.sys.apollo] <None>

orand@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/10/90)

Does anyone out there have any of the OMTI winchester/floppy controllers for
a DN 4000?

    Brady...
Brady Orand - University of Kansas Computer Center  Lawrence, Ks.  66045

ORAND@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Work:  (913) 864-0490
Home:  (913) 749-1341

gerry@swift.cs.tcd.ie (07/25/90)

:
	Does anybody know about Sun RPC run-time libraries
	available for 10.2?

					Gerry O'Brien,
					Dept. Of Computer Science,
					Trinity College Dublin,
					Dublin 2,
					Ireland.

					gerry@cs.tcd.ie

pcc@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Craine) (07/26/90)

In article <7054.26adcc1e@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, gerry@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
|> :
|> 	Does anybody know about Sun RPC run-time libraries
|> 	available for 10.2?

They certainly aren't available from Apollo.  Of course, why would anybody
want to work with some obtuse, inelegant RPC when you've got NCS.  (And if
THAT doesn't start another flame ware, I dunno what will).

    Peter Craine                +  "Home is where you wear your hat."
    Hewlett-Packard             +
    Chelmsford Response Center  +  *I* don't want my opinions.  Why would HP?

achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) (07/29/90)

In article <4bd2e824.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> pcc@1.HP.COM writes:
>In article <7054.26adcc1e@swift.cs.tcd.ie>, gerry@swift.cs.tcd.ie writes:
>|> :
>|> 	Does anybody know about Sun RPC run-time libraries
>|> 	available for 10.2?
>|>

>They certainly aren't available from Apollo.  Of course, why would anybody
>want to work with some obtuse, inelegant RPC when you've got NCS.  (And if
>THAT doesn't start another flame ware, I dunno what will).
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>    Peter Craine                +  "Home is where you wear your hat."
>    Hewlett-Packard             +
>    Chelmsford Response Center  +  *I* don't want my opinions.  Why would HP?

Just to throw in my 2 cents.
Apollo has ported SUN RPC to Domain/OS. Otherwise there could be no NFS
product from Apollo. So the library does exist in Apollo but, I guess,
is not distributed.
(For a proof of that, do an 'nm' or 'dump -t' on /etc/nfsd, you'll find
all routine names that you'd expect, for instance, xdr*).

Now, while I'd tend to agree with Peter about NCS quality, features, etc,
I feel frustrated because Apollo has done the work and is not allowing
other people to benefit from it.
This sort of 'beat the user' attitude will end up killing Apollo.

Achille Petrilli
Management Information Systems

In article <2121@cernvax.UUCP> achille@cernvax.UUCP (achille petrilli) writes:
>Apollo has ported SUN RPC to Domain/OS. Otherwise there could be no NFS
>product from Apollo. So the library does exist in Apollo but, I guess,
>is not distributed.
Yes and no.  The Apollo implementation of NFS is a complete rewrite from scratch.
Only the name is licensed from Sun.  This may or may not be true of the RPC
library as well, I'm not sure.

>I feel frustrated because Apollo has done the work and is not allowing
>other people to benefit from it.
>This sort of 'beat the user' attitude will end up killing Apollo.
You've got the tense wrong. :-/

Carlton pointed out the problem, it's been there from the beginning.  Apollo
does not have the resources to support every piece of code they would like,
even if it's used internally (frankly I have no idea how most people survive
on an Apollo using only the stuff that is shipped).  However Apollo's policy
is not to ship unsupported software (yes I know, much of what's shipped is
unsupported in fact, but they don't want to add to that).  Persuade them to
ship unsupported software and you'll might get a flood of stuff.  Maybe.
Unfortunately it takes a fair amount of time to even ship unsupported tools
(installation, compiling with new compilers, making sure it at least runs....),
so there's no guarantee.  In the six years I was there the only "unsupported"
thing I managed to get out the door were the keydef files in /domain_examples.

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com
nazgul@alphalpha.com		|-----------------------------------

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (08/01/90)

They would want to use Sun RPC in order to run the gobs of software which
uses Sun RPC calls (like, say, PC-NFS, something which Apollo *still* does
not support to my knowledge). Why is it that Apollo, and now HP, can't seem
to get it through their heads that customers want, *need*, and *MUST* be able
to use software packages that don't necessarily come from the vendor who
provided their hardware? Many times we have NO choice as to the software we
must run -- a collegue sends us their program which they developed on their
Sparcstation and we can either
a) spend 6 weeks of our valuable time to re-create the program on the
   Apollos rather than writing our papers/PhD thesis.
b) buy a Sun workstation to run the software.

Our research grants don't pay us to port software. They also don't pay us
to publish papers 6 weeks after the same results have been reported by
someone else. Which option do you think we would take? (I'll give you
a hint: Since 1988, roughly 6 new professors in our department have
bought workstations. None of them bought Apollos. In the past 12 months,
5 of the 8 professors who own Apollos have bought brand new color
Sparcstations -- 6 machines at roughly $18,000 each after discount -- and
only 2 of 8 professors who own Apollos have bought Apollos -- 5 new DN2500's
at roughly $3500 each after discount -- that's roughly a 6 to 1 ratio in
dollars spent).

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

petersn@physics.utoronto.ca (Mike Peterson) (08/02/90)

In article <9008011411.AA10103@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>They would want to use Sun RPC in order to run the gobs of software which
>uses Sun RPC calls (like, say, PC-NFS, something which Apollo *still* does
>not support to my knowledge). Why is it that Apollo, and now HP, can't seem
>to get it through their heads that customers want, *need*, and *MUST* be able
>to use software packages that don't necessarily come from the vendor who
>provided their hardware? Many times we have NO choice as to the software we
>must run -- a collegue sends us their program which they developed on their
>Sparcstation and we can either
>a) spend 6 weeks of our valuable time to re-create the program on the
>   Apollos rather than writing our papers/PhD thesis.
>b) buy a Sun workstation to run the software.
>
>Our research grants don't pay us to port software. They also don't pay us
>to publish papers 6 weeks after the same results have been reported by
>someone else. Which option do you think we would take? (I'll give you
>a hint: Since 1988, roughly 6 new professors in our department have
>bought workstations. None of them bought Apollos. In the past 12 months,
>5 of the 8 professors who own Apollos have bought brand new color
>Sparcstations -- 6 machines at roughly $18,000 each after discount -- and
>only 2 of 8 professors who own Apollos have bought Apollos -- 5 new DN2500's
>at roughly $3500 each after discount -- that's roughly a 6 to 1 ratio in
>dollars spent).

I agree with these comments completely -- I have spent (and continue to
spend) ridiculous amounts of time porting BSD programs that should run
on any BSD system without change (e.g. sendmail, named, ckermit,
batchd (still not working), C-News/rn/nntp, NCAR library).
We have also had no end of problems with TCP/IP and Ethernet, especially
on our DSP10020 - more on that later, but it still doesn't work for more
than 1 week average (we are running SR10.2.0.5.p)..
No one else at our University even thinks of HP/Apollo after our
problems - who needs the headaches? We are going to buy SGI or IBM
RS/6000.

Mike Peterson, U/Toronto Chemistry,
system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca		(416) 978-7094

gmkumar@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (G Maninthakumar) (12/19/90)

From ss007720284@node_2f2f3.node_2f2f3 Wed Dec 12 21:04:58 1990
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 90 21:04:41 CST
From: ss007720284@node_2f2f3.node_2f2f3 (Odencrantz)
To: gmkumar@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Subject: Interleaf/Apollo in LA, CA

Dear Apollo Friends:

Can you assist me in finding a University
in the LA area where I can find an Apollo so
I can use Interleaf to finish my dissertation?
I am getting frustrated trying to do this myself mainly
because I haven't had much luck.
I now live near Cal State Long Beach and work near UCIrvine.
I am currently forced to fly back to UIUrbana to use Interleaf
on the Apollo at the Civil Engineering Department there to make
changes on my dissertation.
If you have any ideas as to where I may find the solution to my
problem, they'd be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to travel
most anywhere in the LA area to be able to use Interleaf.

Please respond to jodencrantz@civilgate.ce.uiuc.edu      or
                  ss007720284@civilgate.ce.uiuc.edu

     Thanks for any ideas,
                Joe Odencrantz