[comp.sys.apollo] xownroot problem

finley@snuffy.lerc.nasa.gov (Brian Finley) (01/01/91)

I'm running sr10.2 on an apollo 4500.  The problem is that all
of the sudden when you try

	wmgr -off
	xownroot -on

the message 'unable to open display :0' is displayed.  We have
xterminals connected and have no problems and had not had any problems
running X on the main console util recently.  Any insight would be appreciated.

--
----------------
Brian Finley  /  To err is human-and to blame it on a computer is even more so

In article <1990Dec31.205923.1989@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> finley@snuffy.lerc.nasa.gov (Brian Finley) writes:

>I'm running sr10.2 on an apollo 4500.  The problem is that all
>of the sudden when you try
>
>	wmgr -off
>	xownroot -on
>
>the message 'unable to open display :0' is displayed.  We have
>xterminals connected and have no problems and had not had any problems
>running X on the main console util recently.  Any insight would be appreciated.

I don't know why it would be failing, however as a related matter...

Never use ":0" as the display name.  Always use TCP instead of UDS.
Why?  Because UDS on Apollo is broken, it doesn't implement partial
writes.  You'll be running along just fine, and then all of a
sudden your X server and all X applications will hang.  This will
usually happen only when running applications that have a lot of
screen data (a big bitmap, or a Motif application with a large window).
They'll try and send a gob of data to the X server and the system
will hang because it didn't get all the data in the first buffer and
it's never going to get a second buffer.  Presumbably this is an issue
for any program using UDS, but I don't know offhand what buffer size
will cause it to happen.

As far as I know this has *not* been corrected in 10.3.  Does anyone
know any differently?

							-kee
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.		|	motif-request@alfalfa.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.