[comp.sys.apollo] Anonymous ftp on Apollo

jesper@hpucph.dmk.hp.com (Jesper Halding) (12/18/90)

Hi guys
One of our Apollo customers asked me how to use anonymous ftp
on Apollo. We have not implemented that, but I found an entry
in KDB, where it said that someone has worked on that. Do you
know if this is available somewhere?
                    Thanks,
                  Jesper Halding,
                  CRC, Denmark

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (12/20/90)

In article <16180001@hpucph.dmk.hp.com> jesper@hpucph.dmk.hp.com (Jesper Halding) writes:

   Hi guys

Jesper, please talk to your network admins and have them register your
domain properly.  I cannot send mail to you.

hufsa 38 % host -a dmk.hp.com.
rcode = 3 (Non-existent domain), ancount=0
Host not found.

   One of our Apollo customers asked me how to use anonymous ftp
   on Apollo.

I have a posting from July mentioning /pub/apollo-ftpd.tar.Z on
ocf.berkeley.edu (128.32.184.254).  Check it out.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

waldram@WOLF.UWYO.EDU (12/20/90)

The information I got from the Apollo Response Center (8 months ago)
was that anonymous ftp was not planned to be supported.  There was
some problem with file security in limiting the home directory as
the users root directory.  If this information is incorrect, I am
extremely interested.
                  -jjw
Jim Waldram
University of Wyoming
waldram@grizzly.uwyo.edu
waldram@wolf.uwyo.edu
jwaldram@outlaw.uwyo.edu
jwaldram@UWYO.BITNET

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (12/20/90)

In article <9012191633.AA02948@wolf.Uwyo.EDU> waldram@WOLF.UWYO.EDU writes:
>The information I got from the Apollo Response Center (8 months ago)
>was that anonymous ftp was not planned to be supported.  There was
>some problem with file security in limiting the home directory as
>the users root directory.  If this information is incorrect, I am
>extremely interested.
>                  -jjw

Well I can't speak for Apollo, BUT there is a PD-version which lets people
use anonymous ftp. I've retreived the sources from osf.berkely.edu, and
patched a little to monitor the usuage of the anonymous account.
(Check for starnge actions.) And as far as I've seen did nobody get any files
that they weren't allowed to get.

I even have links to files which are not under the ~ftp-directory. So I don't
have to put binaries in twice! :-)

If you want you can get it at ftp.ebe.ele.tue.nl in /pub/apollo/myftp.tar.Z.
Try it, if you want it keep it.

Willem Jan Withagen.

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10 BITNET: ELEBWJ@HEITUE5.BITNET
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

tonyf@bwdla54.bnr.ca (Tony Farrow) (12/21/90)

In article <16180001@hpucph.dmk.hp.com>, jesper@hpucph.dmk.hp.com (Jesper Halding) writes:
|> Hi guys
|> One of our Apollo customers asked me how to use anonymous ftp
|> on Apollo. We have not implemented that, but I found an entry
|> in KDB, where it said that someone has worked on that. Do you
|> know if this is available somewhere?
|>                     Thanks,
|>                   Jesper Halding,
|>                   CRC, Denmark

Anonymous ftp for the APOLLO is available from ocf.berkeley.edu
(128,32,184,254). It currently has some limitations in functionality
ie you cannot mget pub/filename etc. However it does work quite
reasonably.

tony
--
*--------------------------+----------------------------------------*
| Tony Farrow              | NetNorth/BITNET: TONYF@BNR.CA          |

isca@isca01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) (12/21/90)

From article <1990Dec20.190144.6332@bwdls61.bnr.ca>, by tonyf@bwdla54.bnr.ca (Tony Farrow):

> Anonymous ftp for the APOLLO is available from ocf.berkeley.edu
> (128,32,184,254). It currently has some limitations in functionality
> ie you cannot mget pub/filename etc. However it does work quite
> reasonably.
>
> tony
> --
> *--------------------------+----------------------------------------*
> | Tony Farrow              | NetNorth/BITNET: TONYF@BNR.CA          |
> | Internet Systems         |                                        |
> | Bell-Northern Research   | UUCP: ...uunet!bnrgate!bwdla54!tonyf   |
> | P.O. Box 3511, Station C | Phone: (613)763-4903  ESN: 393-4903    |
> | Ottawa, Canada   K1Y 4H7 | FAX:   (613)763-3283  ESN: 393-3283    |
> *--------------------------+----------------------------------------*

  I have also written a hack to allow anonymous ftp.  The reason normal
apollo ftpd doesn't allow anonymous ftp is the system call chroot()
fails under domain/OS because it can't hide //.
  Mine does things a bit differently than the version from Berkeley and I
don't think it suffers from the above bug.  If you'd like to give my version
a try, ftp to the address below.  If anyone wants this version, I'll dig
it up and put it up for (anonymous) ftp.

   Dave
|  David Lacey                           | Try the ISCA BBS and Archives    |
|  President, Iowa Student Computer Assn | Telnet/FTP: isca.icaen.uiowa.edu |
|  The University of Iowa                | telnet/rlogin in as iscabbs      |
|  isca@icaen.uiowa.edu                  | 1.3 GIG of disk space and growing|

awhitton@bwdla30.bnr.ca (Alan Whitton @ BNR) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec20.190144.6332@bwdls61.bnr.ca>, tonyf@bwdla54.bnr.ca
(Tony Farrow) writes:

|> Anonymous ftp for the APOLLO is available from ocf.berkeley.edu
|> (128,32,184,254). It currently has some limitations in functionality
|> ie you cannot mget pub/filename etc. However it does work quite
|> reasonably.
|>
|> tony
|> --

The other thing that this is missing is the FILETYPE option available
under 10.3 . This makes it possible to transfer typed apollo objects
without having to  stuff the files into a WBAK archive.

Christmas Cheers,
Alan Whitton

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
BNR Ottawa                   Disclaimer: "This is only my opinion"

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (01/03/91)

Also at ftp.eb.ele.tue.nl(131.155.2.25) with some small enhancements.

>The other thing that this is missing is the FILETYPE option available
>under 10.3 . This makes it possible to transfer typed apollo objects
>without having to  stuff the files into a WBAK archive.

What I've tried is to FTP COFF files, just as plain bin. Once I got them
across I changed the filetype to COFF with /com/obty.
This caused no pains what so ever. Even better still, I would also execute
when it wasn't of COFF-type.

Ciao,