[comp.sys.apollo] uuname -l, gethostname etc.

glass@SODA.BERKELEY.EDU (12/27/90)

I have a machine with the hostname "soda.berkeley.edu" .  I'm trying
to set it up so that it can do uucp but it thinks its "uuname -l" is
"soda.Berkeley.".  The name is bad enough but the trailing dot breaks
lots of stuff (mainly sendmail).  So how do I convince my machine that
my uuname is really "soda"?  uuname in and of itself is relatively
innocuous but uucico seems to have the same confusion.

later,
Adam

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (01/03/91)

glass@SODA.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

>I have a machine with the hostname "soda.berkeley.edu" .  I'm trying
>to set it up so that it can do uucp but it thinks its "uuname -l" is
>"soda.Berkeley.".  The name is bad enough but the trailing dot breaks
>lots of stuff (mainly sendmail).  So how do I convince my machine that
>my uuname is really "soda"?  uuname in and of itself is relatively
>innocuous but uucico seems to have the same confusion.

	Well, soda.berkeley.edu may be your FQDN (fully qualified domain
name), but "uuname -l" should point only to your nodename. (Don't know
where apollo is pulling the name; often it's the kernel, or /etc/sitename,
or ....) Since "soda.Berkeley." comes to 14 characters, I would assume
your system runs an HDB-like UUCP, which recognizes only 14 character
nodenames.

	uuname in and of itself may be innocuous, but what it reveals is
not. If a site spools a request for "soda", and you come in and identify
yourself as "soda.Berkeley.", you will not be given that spooled request.

----------------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake			shwake@rsxtech

bergstr@HI-CSC.HONEYWELL.COM (-Darryl Bergstrom) (01/03/91)

glass@SODA.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

>I have a machine with the hostname "soda.berkeley.edu" .  I'm trying
>to set it up so that it can do uucp but it thinks its "uuname -l" is
>"soda.Berkeley.".  The name is bad enough but the trailing dot breaks
>lots of stuff (mainly sendmail).  So how do I convince my machine that
>my uuname is really "soda"?  uuname in and of itself is relatively
>innocuous but uucico seems to have the same confusion.

Ray>	Well, soda.berkeley.edu may be your FQDN (fully qualified domain
Ray>name), but "uuname -l" should point only to your nodename. (Don't
Ray>know where apollo is pulling the name; often it's the kernel, or
Ray>/etc/sitename,or ....) Since "soda.Berkeley." comes to 14
characters, I Ray>would assume your system runs an HDB-like UUCP, which
recognizes Ray>only 14 character nodenames.

Ray>uuname in and of itself may be innocuous, but what it reveals is
Ray>not. If a site spools a request for "soda", and you come in and identify
Ray>yourself as "soda.Berkeley.", you will not be given that spooled request.

uucp looks at the file /usr/lib/uucp/sitename to determine the sitename.

Put soda in this file and all is done.

-darryl
bergstr@hi-csc.honeywell.com

glass@SODA.BERKELEY.EDU (01/04/91)

glass@SODA.BERKELEY.EDU writes:

>I have a machine with the hostname "soda.berkeley.edu" .  I'm trying
>to set it up so that it can do uucp but it thinks its "uuname -l" is
>"soda.Berkeley.".  The name is bad enough but the trailing dot breaks
>lots of stuff (mainly sendmail).  So how do I convince my machine that
>my uuname is really "soda"?  uuname in and of itself is relatively
>innocuous but uucico seems to have the same confusion.

guess I should've responded to my message a few days ago.  Regarding
the responses:

	I doubt /usr/lib/uucp/sitename works since strings doesn't
	find it	in the uucico binary.

Simplest and dumbest solution is the MYNAME option in your Permissions file.
for example if solipsist calls soda.berkeley.edu and really wants to
get a Shere=soda type message and not soda.berkeley. you can something
like the following

LOGNAME=gsolip MACHINE=solipsist MYNAME=soda VALIDATE=solipsist COMMANDS=rmail REQUEST=yes SENDFILES=yes

That works just fine now.  Still can't find the source of the flow
control thats botching up the uucp connection...but I don't think its
the apollo.

later,
Adam