[comp.sys.apollo] problems with getting printing working

skum@eng.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (01/05/91)

Configuration: a DN3000 running SR10.3 with max Aegis/BSD4.3 installed

Problem: lpd will not start up.

What happens when /usr/lib/lpd is started is that it creates two
lpd processes, then one of them dies.  The other one sticks around.
The one that dies, I believe, is the one that is supposed to be
controlling the printer.

# lpc
lpc> restart all
cx:
        no daemon to abort
cx:
        couldn't start daemon
lpc> status
cx:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

My printcap file looks like this:
cx|lp|im|imagen:\
        :lp=/dev/sio:\
        :br#19200:rw:\
        :pc=/usr/apollo/bin/prf -pr cx -banner off -text -npag -headers off:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/cx:if=/usr/lib/lpf:pw#96:pl#65:\
        :af=/usr/adm/cxacct:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:

I'm running a serial line over to an imagen at 19200 baud.
A related question is what is the serial port called?  I've tried
/dev/sio, /dev/sio1, /dev/tty, etc....what should I call it?

Thanks.  Please direct personal responses to skum@bessel.umd.edu

--
| Allon Stern        | (301)405-4864 [work]  |  Ring around the Internet      |
| skum@bessel.umd.edu| (301)314-4080 [dorm]  |  A packet with a bit not set   |

robinb@bhpmrl.oz.au (Robin Brown) (01/08/91)

skum@eng.umd.edu (Allon Stern) writes:

>Configuration: a DN3000 running SR10.3 with max Aegis/BSD4.3 installed

>Problem: lpd will not start up.

>What happens when /usr/lib/lpd is started is that it creates two
>lpd processes, then one of them dies.  The other one sticks around.
>The one that dies, I believe, is the one that is supposed to be
>controlling the printer.
That's what is supposed to happen.  When lpd is started is spawns a copy
of itself for each entry in your printcap file.  These check to see if
any jobs are outstanding, process them and then die. The parent lpd
process sits and listens of print requests and spawns copies of itself
to process any that it receives.

># lpc
>lpc> restart all
>cx:
>        no daemon to abort
>cx:
>        couldn't start daemon
>lpc> status
>cx:
>        queuing is enabled
>        printing is enabled
>        no entries
>        no daemon present
This is normal, a daemon will not be present unless a job is being processed.
Your printcap file looks reasonable but then never having set one up like
that I can't be sure.  More details on exactly what happens might help.

Robin