[comp.sys.apollo] 8mm backup problem.

herb@blender.uucp (Herb Peyerl) (01/06/91)

kwongj@caldwr.water.ca.gov (James Kwong) writes:
>Unable to open stream to /dev/tty.
>Unable to close stream to /dev/tty.
>Is this bug indigenous to SR10.2? Workstation Solutions?
>or both??  (I hate third party stuff! :-)

We also have Workstation Solutions software with 4 Exabyte
drives backing up some 80 nodes.  We have NEVER encountered
what you've described.  We run 10.1 (Mentor), 10.2, and some
10.3.  We use the "The Backup Accelerator" stuff that
WorkStation Solutions sells which of course sits on top of
their "Exabyte" software.    Of course, we don't run our
backup from cron so that would probably explain why we don't
have the same problem...

Our backup runs on one node using the:

tbs_wbak -dev x -conc -on //tape_drive_node

in a window.  One window per tape drive.  The command
is executed from a little utility that we wrote in house
which unattaches itself from the user entirely so you can
log out once the backup has started and still have it run
as yourself. (Similar to "xdmc cp") except the windows come
up as icons and some other minor stuff...

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying in a round-about way is
that it's invaluable to us to have an idea of whats happening
during the backup so I would never think of running the backup
from cron.  That's just me however... I just wrote the software,
I don't do the backups so what do I know???

UUCP: herb@blender.UUCP   || #define Janitor Administrator
ICBM: 51 03 N / 114 03 W  || Apollo System_Janitor, Novatel Communications
"I spilled spot remover on my dog and now he's gone..." <Steven Wright>

kwongj@caldwr.water.ca.gov (James Kwong) (01/09/91)

I have here a Workstation Solutions Exabyte tape unit.
It's attached to a DN3000 running the SR10.2 OS.

Every night the backup script is executed by cron.

About once every few weeks or so, I get the following messages
repeated over and over again and the backup aborts.

.
.
.
Unable to open stream to /dev/tty.
Unable to close stream to /dev/tty.
Unable to open stream to /dev/tty.
Unable to close stream to /dev/tty.
.
.
.

This has been going on for about 4 months now and it's
starting to annoy me.

Usually I have to power off/on the Exabyte unit or
reboot the node or both to clear the problem.

Is this bug indigenous to SR10.2? Workstation Solutions?
or both??  (I hate third party stuff! :-)

Any help would be appreciated.

James
--
James Kwong  Calif. Dept. of Water Resources, Sacto, CA 95802
DOMAIN kwongj@water.ca.gov     UUCP ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!kwongj