[comp.sys.apollo] xownsroot configuration startup

hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu (01/05/91)

	I am running SR10.2 on a 3500 and developing a working environment that
I will port to 2500's for a community of users.  I want to run with xownsroot,
and I want uwm to start up automatically upon login but would like that as
part of the standard configuration rather than in .login (where it would be
a user option).

	I have put the uwm option in startup_login[.type] as a cpo
command line very much like the one that starts xterm (described by the manual)
and just before the xterm startup.  This seems to work.

	Is this the "best" way to do this; might there be problems I have not
foreseen; what other alternatives would give me the working environment I'm
trying to establish?  I was unable to find any hints about this in the Apollo
documentation: can anyone point me to documentation on this?

	Thanks for any help you can offer.

							David Todd
							Wesleyan University

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (01/06/91)

In article <1991Jan5.061231.37383@eagle.wesleyan.edu> hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>	I am running SR10.2 on a 3500 and developing a working environment that
>I will port to 2500's for a community of users.  I want to run with xownsroot,
>and I want uwm to start up automatically upon login but would like that as
>part of the standard configuration rather than in .login (where it would be
>a user option).
>
>	I have put the uwm option in startup_login[.type] as a cpo
>command line very much like the one that starts xterm (described by the manual)
>and just before the xterm startup.  This seems to work.

I gave a talk at the ADUS meeting on "UNIX Dot Files" and covered this
topic, since that is the way we run all our Apollo's. You can do a
"startx" from the startup_login.blah file instead of starting an xterm,
or any other specific X clients. I can send the text of my talk to
anyone who sends me e-mail, or I'll post it if I get enough requests.
The file is pretty long since it includes copies of the
.cshrc/.login/.profile files we use, along with all the X configuration
files (.uwmrc/.mwmrc/.xinitrc/.xserverrc/.Xresources/.xmodmaprc) that
cover most of the common node types that can run X reasonably
(DN2500, DN4500, DN10000).
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

mmuegel@camdev.comm.mot.com (Mike "Happy" Muegel) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan5.061231.37383@eagle.wesleyan.edu> hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>	I am running SR10.2 on a 3500 and developing a working environment that
>I will port to 2500's for a community of users.  I want to run with xownsroot,
>and I want uwm to start up automatically upon login but would like that as
>part of the standard configuration rather than in .login (where it would be
>a user option).

I would recommend looking into xdm. I think it is standard system
software at SR10.2+. I know it comes with HP-VUE. It is also available as
part of the MIT X11R3/4 core software if it is not on your Apollo.

xdm is a display manager that handles getty-type functions. It is highly
configurable in that you can fine tune the environment for your particular
site (e.g. run uwm, start up an xterm, etc.).

-Mike
| Mike Muegel                              | Internet: mmuegel@mot.com        |
| Software Tools Engineer                  | UUCP:     uunet!motcid!muegel    |
| Fort Worth Research & Development Center | Voice:    (817) 232-6623         |
| Cellular Infrastructure Group            | Fax:      (817) 232-6030         |
| Radio Telephone and Systems Group        | Mail:     5555 North Beach St.   |
| Motorola, Inc.                           |           Fort Worth,  TX 76137  |