[comp.sys.apollo] TCPD & INETD disappearing

scalera@batpa27.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) (01/09/91)

Configuration: DN4500 using 10.1 with patch kit 4:

I've been having a peculiar problem trying to keep my tcpd and inetd daeomons
running on the node for an extended period of time.  It seems they keep dropping
off the network for no apparent reason.

Has anybody had a similar occurance?

--
Rick Scalera

#include <disclaimer.h>
"BNR does not share my opinions. I wouldn't be an MSS if it did"

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.195530.10630@bnr.ca> scalera@batpa27.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) writes:
>Configuration: DN4500 using 10.1 with patch kit 4:
>I've been having a peculiar problem trying to keep my tcpd and inetd daeomons
>running on the node for an extended period of time.  It seems they keep dropping
>off the network for no apparent reason.
>Has anybody had a similar occurance?

You bet - for 2 years (this problem should be added to the FAQ :-( ).
For m68k nodes, the solution is 10.2+patches (I haven't tried 10.3 yet,
but will next week), unless you are running X Windows, where the node
will still drop dead about once a month. For the DN10000, ours drops
TCP/IP on average once a week, but the display (using X) only works for
a few days before locking (the node still allows rlogin/telnet for a few
more days before locking that out too). These systems are all Ethernet
based; I gather token rings behave better.

For 10.1, make sure you have the Ethernet microcode from 10.2 - that
will help many Enet TCP problems, but not all.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca