[comp.sys.apollo] How do I get tftp running on the apollo ?

spear_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Spear) (01/16/91)

In article <5861@labtam.labtam.oz> john@labtam.labtam.oz (John Carey) writes:
>I need tftpd running on the apollo to boot an Xterminal
>
>I noticed our default /etc/inetd.conf had the tftpd line commented out.
>I uncommented tftpd and restarted inetd - still no tftpd.
>
>I even rebooted the system - no luck !!
>
>Can anyone help me please

  John, the manual Configuring and Managing TCP, page D-53 is very
specific in saying that tftp must be setuid to the designated user,
the tftp spool dir must be owned by the designated user, and the
designated user should NEVER be ROOT.   Please note that tftp does
not take into account any security, ownership or access restrictions
when coping files from a system.

 Steps for success in using TFTP.

1.   Decide on a very non-privileged user.  ie. no root privileges

2.   a. chown /etc/tftpd to that of the user.  e.g. chown username /etc/tftpd
     b. chmod tftpd to set the setuid bit so that tftpd will run as that user
        e.g.  chmod 4755 /etc/tftpd

3.   Create a /tftp spool directory owned by same user.
     *NOTE* - Step 3 is a requirement for tftp puts e.g. tftp -p xxx

4.   Modify /etc/inetd.conf so that the user column on the tftp line
     is the username selected.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Please examine the syntax examples in the man pages for tftp very carefully.
The examples are not straightforward and require some studying.
 Bob "The Renegade" Spear            spear_r@apollo.hp.com
"Anything worth knowing, cannot be understood"  Woody Alan