[comp.sys.apollo] problems with /bin/ksh

i91@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Fons Rademakers) (01/17/91)

I have some problems when running interactive commands, like /bin/rm -i,
in the /bin/ksh. Often the /bin/rm hangs after typing y or n on the
question posed by the command. When giving another <CR> the command
returns but the file has not been deleted. A tb of the hanging process
shows the following:

(salo) #[6] tb 2481
In routine  system service "ec2_$wait"
Called from "ec2_$wait_slow_io" line 205
Called from "inpad_$get" line 411
Called from "ios_$get" line 154
Called from "unix_fio_$read" line 1083
Called from "read" line 104
Called from "_filbuf" line 55
Called from "yes" line 272
Called from "rm" line 232
Called from "main" line 79
Called from "unix_$main" line 114
Called from "_start" line 51
Called from "PM_$CALL" line 176
Called from "pgm_$load_run" line 903
Called from "pgm_$invoke_uid_pn" line 1124
Called from "pm_$init" line 870

It seems that one eventcount gets lost and the command stays in ec2_$wait
waiting for some more input. I am running SR10.3 on an HP/Apollo 400 but
the problem manifested itself also under SR10.2 on an DN580-T.

I only notice this problem when running the /bin/ksh, /bin/csh is fine.

Anybody experienced the same problem? Can it be fixed?

-- Fons Rademakers.
--
Org:    NIKHEF-H, National Institute for Nuclear and High-Energy Physics.
Mail:   Kruislaan 409, P.O. Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, the Netherlands

vinoski@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Vinoski) (01/18/91)

In article <1122@nikhefh.nikhef.nl> i91@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Fons Rademakers) writes:
>I have some problems when running interactive commands, like /bin/rm -i,
>in the /bin/ksh. Often the /bin/rm hangs after typing y or n on the
>question posed by the command. When giving another <CR> the command
>returns but the file has not been deleted.

I reported this bug internally quite some time ago.  I have seen the problem
manifest itself in the /bin/ksh *and* in the /bin/csh, so it isn't a ksh
problem.  The bug is currently listed at the highest severity level, so it
should be receiving some attention.

-steve

| Steve Vinoski  (508)256-6600 x5904       | Internet: vinoski@apollo.hp.com  |
| Testability and Diagnostics              | UUCP: ...mit-eddie!apollo!vinoski|
| HP Apollo Division, Chelmsford, MA 01824 |       ...uw-beaver!apollo!vinoski|