[comp.sys.apollo] DSEE model file -> Makefile ?

huisken@prl.philips.nl (Jos Huisken 42824) (01/31/91)

Is there exist a possibility to transfer a DSEE model file to
a (standard) Unix Makefile?  The kind of model file I'm transferring
has about 6 different targets, so using mkmf or something like
that won't work.

Thanks for any help...

Jos
Jos A. Huisken    bldg WAY 4.11   ||  email: huisken@prl.philips.nl
Philips Research Laboratories,	  ||  phone: +31-40-742824
Eindhoven, The Netherlands.	  ||  seri : huisken:nlwaya01

lubkin@apollo.HP.COM (David Lubkin) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb3.034903.9258@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:

>As far as I can tell the reason is this.  Every time someone said
>(and I did a lot) that make/rcs/sccs conversion to and from DSEE should
>be a priority; marketing would check with the DSEE customers, and the
>DSEE customers would say they didn't care.  So it wouldn't be a big
>priority, and thus it would get done.  It never seemed to occur to
>anyone that anyone who really cared wouldn't buy DSEE, and thus wouldn't
>be included in the survey.

We ship SCCS => DSEE.

make <=> DSEE was on the plate for DSEE V4.  I even wrote a design doc about it
(which you reviewed, I believe).  It fell off when the pedal hit the metal,
along with a few other wonderful features when we got down to the nasty business
of making a product real and getting it out the door.

What we did instead was discussed at ADUS, and should be formally announced
pretty soon.  Attracting new customers WAS a major consideration in our decisions
on what to do and what to defer.

I won't speak for the primordial past, but since I've been in the DSEE group
(3 years), we've all had three ears -- one for the internal user community within
Apollo, one for the current customers, and one for potential customers.

>This doubtlessly has something to do with the reason why Apollo is
>now not Apollo and the core of the original DSEE group now has their
>own company doing _portable_ CASE.

As is the current DSEE group.  As we said at ADUS, DSEE V5 will be portable.
We're not sure yet _how_ portable it will be, but it will certainly be available
on OSF.

-- David Lubkin
   DSEE Project
   Apollo Systems Division, Hewlett-Packard

   lubkin@apollo.hp.com