[comp.sys.apollo] Chaining DN300 70Mb disks?

george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (George "Sir Lleb" Zipperlen) (02/05/91)

Is it possible to chain those 70Mb winchester disk drives on old DN300
or DN330 workstations? I'm saving a DN330 from the dumpster, and 140 Meg
would be a lot nicer than 70 for a home box.

I have R'd To the remaining ancient F Manuals, but could only find info
on chaining DSP80 storage modules, so I realize this may be a long shot.

Scavengingly, yours...
--
George Zipperlen    george@apollo.lap.upenn.edu  george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu
  ...!{rutgers, uunet, mit-eddie, decwrl}!upenn.edu!apollo.lap!george

vera@fanaraaken.Stanford.EDU (James S. Vera) (02/06/91)

george@hyper.lap.upenn.edu (George "Sir Lleb" Zipperlen) writes:

>Is it possible to chain those 70Mb winchester disk drives on old DN300
>or DN330 workstations? I'm saving a DN330 from the dumpster, and 140 Meg
>would be a lot nicer than 70 for a home box.

>I have R'd To the remaining ancient F Manuals, but could only find info
>on chaining DSP80 storage modules, so I realize this may be a long shot.

>Scavengingly, yours...

We also have a number of those boxes lying around.  Does any know what
interface the drives use (SMD perhaps?).  Their model number is
SMSD-70-... Is SMSD yet another interface?

James S. Vera      |         Internet	        |Standard Disclaimers
Stanford University|vera@fanaraaken.stanford.edu|Blah Blah Blah Blah
Bellcore           |vera2@rigel.cc.bellcore.com |

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (02/06/91)

I asked our filed service rep about this a long time ago. The answer
was no. The controller for the DN3xx series disks does not support
multiple drives according to what I was told.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/07/91)

In article <9102061342.AA28921@richter.mit.edu>, krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:

  I asked our filed service rep about this a long time ago. The answer
  was no. The controller for the DN3xx series disks does not support
  multiple drives according to what I was told.

The guy was only partly right.  The controller on the dn3xx has two st506
ports, and you can put two disks on it.  Normally one would be a floppy and
one would be a winchester.  In theory you could plug in two winchesters, but
you would need to patch the os to deal with this.  I don't know anyone who
has tried this, but I know someone who is about to.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (02/13/91)

The phrase "MSD" used to stand for "Mass Storage Device" in the
early Apollo (pre DN3000/4000) price list. For instance, the 500 MB
CDC 9715 drives that came with the DSP80/80A/90 file servers were
listed as MSD500-M in the price list. These (CDC 9715) drives are
indeed SMD drives. I'm not certain about the DN300/320/330 drives.
They might actually be ST506(?) drives.