[comp.sys.apollo] RAM for a DN4000

gah@CML.UNL.EDU (Glen A. Hansen) (02/13/91)

Does anyone know of where I might buy 3rd party memory upgrades for a DN4000
and a DN3500 Apollo workstation?

     1) The DN4000 currently is equipped with 8Meg, and I would like to upgrade
        to 12 (or more if possible).

     2) The DN3500 has 4Meg. I would like to upgrade this to at least 8.

As an aside, I would also be interested in used memory for these machines if anyone
has some lying around.

(I have asked a similar question on this network before, and recieved several
replies. In the preceding few months I have managed to lose this information.
Sorry about this repeat)

                                      gah@cml.unl.edu

yamazaki@karc.crl.go.jp (T.Yamazaki) (02/15/91)

Hello.

In article <9102131416.AA04112@cml.unl.edu> gah@CML.UNL.EDU (Glen A. Hansen) writes:

   >Does anyone know of where I might buy 3rd party memory upgrades for a DN4000
   >and a DN3500 Apollo workstation?
   >
   >	1) The DN4000 currently is equipped with 8Meg, and I would like to upgrade
   >	   to 12 (or more if possible).
   >
   >	2) The DN3500 has 4Meg. I would like to upgrade this to at least 8.

I am using DN4000 (SR10.2). Yesterday I just upgraded my machine 16Mb to 20Mb.
More precisely, I purchased a 8Mb RAM board and exchanged one of four original
4Mb boards with it. It works very well.

The 3rd party from which I purchased the board is

	HELIOS SYSTEMS, A DIVISION OF PIICEON INC., A DYNATECH COMPANY
		1996 Lundy Avenue, San Jose, CA. 95131
		Phone (408)432-0292 FAX (408)943-1309

It cost me 480K yen (about $3692).

Another 3rd party I know is

	Clearpoint Research Corporation
		35 Parkwood Drive, Hopkinton, MA. 01748
		Phone 1-800-CLEARPT

I don't how much it costs.

Bye.

					yamazaki@karc.crl.go.jp
--

	COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH LABORATORY
		MINISTRY of POSTS and TELECOMMUNICATIONS

	588-2, Iwaoka, Iwaoka-cho, Nishi-Ku, Kobe, 651-24,JAPAN
	PHONE +81-78-967-4361 FAX +81-78-967-4364

	Tatsuya Yamazaki (yamazaki@karc.crl.go.jp)

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (02/15/91)

$3600 is fairly expensive for an 8MB memory board for a DN3500/4000/4500,
especially if it included the trade-in of a 4 MB board. I believe that the
last price list I received from Digital Micronics had a list price of
$1000 for a 4MB board and $1500 for an 8MB board (US list prices for
DN3xxx/4xxx machines, HP 9000 series 400 memories were considerably more
expensive). I have not done any business with DMI, so I can not comment
on the product itself, but their price seems to be good. DMI's phone
number is: (619) 931-8554.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/15/91)

In article <YAMAZAKI.91Feb15094352@tomato.karc.crl.go.jp>, yamazaki@karc.crl.go.jp (T.Yamazaki) writes:

  I am using DN4000 (SR10.2). Yesterday I just upgraded my machine 16Mb to 20Mb.
  More precisely, I purchased a 8Mb RAM board and exchanged one of four original
  4Mb boards with it. It works very well.

  ... It cost me 480K yen (about $3692).

I've heard horror stories about the cost of living in Japan, like a glass
of orange juice for 1200 yen, but this is absurd.  We usually pay less than
$1000 for 8Mb of memory, without trade-in.