[comp.sys.apollo] twm on Domain/X11 shared mode server

mmuegel@camdev.comm.mot.com (Mike "Happy" Muegel) (02/12/91)

Anybody out there use twm with dm enabled (but wmgr off)? I recently got the
X11R4 MIT source and compiled twm using the R4 run-time library I got from
Jim Rees at University of Michigan. Anyway, twm seems to run fine for me
when I test it out quickly (I use mwm, so I do not run it full time). A user
here complains about the following, however:

> I have been having some real trouble with twm.  It is still locking up
> and the DM transcript pads still get junk (inverse characters, vertical lines,
> and cursors dissappearing) in them.

Any ideas? psk5 is installed on the user's node.

Thanks,
-Mike

| Mike Muegel                              | Internet: mmuegel@mot.com        |
| Software Tools Group                     | UUCP:     uunet!motcid!muegel    |
| Fort Worth Research & Development Center | Voice:    (817) 232-6129         |
| Cellular Infrastructure Group            | Fax:      (817) 232-6081         |
| Radio Telephone and Systems Group        | Mail:     5555 North Beach St.   |
| Motorola, Inc.                           |           Fort Worth,  TX 76137  |

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/13/91)

In article <362@camdev.comm.mot.com?>, mmuegel@camdev.comm.mot.com	 (Mike "Happy" Muegel) writes:

  Anybody out there use twm with dm enabled (but wmgr off)? I recently got the
  X11R4 MIT source and compiled twm using the R4 run-time library I got from
  Jim Rees at University of Michigan.
  > I have been having some real trouble with twm.  It is still locking up
  > and the DM transcript pads still get junk (inverse characters, vertical lines,
  > and cursors dissappearing) in them.

(I tried to send mail to Mike, but his smtp server just times out.)

I use twm (actually tvtwm) with the r3 share-mode server and X owns root.
This worked fine at sr10.2 and still works at sr10.3.  The only trick is
that you have to resize the 3 DM command windows at the bottom to make room
for the borders that twm wants to put on them (is there some way to get it
not to do this?).  If you don't, the DM is unhappy, but I haven't seen any
lockups or "junk" as you describe.

Are you sure you've got both wmgr -off and s+r+?  Things get very confused
if you've got one side owning the root and the other managing the windows,
or both trying to manage windows.

Here are the window positions I use on my 1280bw (from
`node_data/startup.1280bw):

#  Window positions for the DM's input and output windows.
#  Do not comment these out.
(694,995)dr;(1277,1010)cv /sys/dm/output
(2,995)dr;(637,1010)cv /sys/dm/input
(642,995)dr;(690,1010)cv /sys/dm/output;pb

chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) (02/13/91)

In article <4fc5fb54.1bc5b@pisa.ifs.umich.edu> rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:

   I use twm (actually tvtwm) with the r3 share-mode server and X owns root.
   This worked fine at sr10.2 and still works at sr10.3.

Have you dried this running `xdm' instead of the shared mode? I'm currently
running this way to minimize my users' confusion on different platforms,
and I would be very interested in getting *twm up for them.

Last time I tried, I couldn't get it to run on SR10.2 -- it compiled, but
when I moused some of the buttons, it failed with segv's. Fiddling my
.twmrc file help some of these, but not all. Could you tell me if any mods
need to be done to the source, and would anyone care to mail me a sample
.twmrc file?

Thanks in advance!

--
chris@asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov, ...!uunet!asylum.gsfc.nasa.gov!chris, PITCH::CHRIS

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/14/91)

[ I tried sending this direct to Chris but hit a mailer loop between endgame,
  dftsrv, and asylum.  You may want to fix this. ]

In article <CHRIS.91Feb13104142@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov>, chris@endgame.gsfc.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton) writes:

  Have you dried this running `xdm' instead of the shared mode? I'm currently
  running this way to minimize my users' confusion on different platforms,
  and I would be very interested in getting *twm up for them.

I have not tried twm in unshared mode.  Are you using the Apollo r3 or r4
server, the MIT r4 server, or something else?

I didn't make any changes to the twm sources.  It just compiled and ran.  I'm
using the MIT r4 libraries, shared, and had a bit of trouble figuring out
how to get them to co-exist with the Apollo r3 global libraries.  If you're
using my r4 library you should be OK.

I'll be glad to send you my twm or tvtwm sources and binaries if you want,
as well as my .twmrc.

mmuegel@camdev.comm.mot.com (Michael Muegel) (02/15/91)

In article <4fc5fb54.1bc5b@pisa.ifs.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>I use twm (actually tvtwm) with the r3 share-mode server and X owns root.
>This worked fine at sr10.2 and still works at sr10.3.  The only trick is
>that you have to resize the 3 DM command windows at the bottom to make room
>for the borders that twm wants to put on them (is there some way to get it
>not to do this?).  If you don't, the DM is unhappy, but I haven't seen any
>lockups or "junk" as you describe.

Thanks, Jim. I wrote you about this. I may have to re-compile or get newer
sources. About the 3 DM windows, you should edit your system's twmrc or
your own and add the following. If you do this you should not have to modify
the DM sizes of those windows. You need, of course, PSK5 for SR10.2 to do this
(10.3 has all the X fixes) so that X knows the names and icons of DM pads.

# Do not draw borders around clients. Use their border specs instead.
ClientBorderWidth

IconManagerDontShow
{
        "/sys/dm/input"
        "/sys/dm/output"
        "/sys/dm/errors"
}

NoTitle
{
        "/sys/dm/input"
        "/sys/dm/output"
        "/sys/dm/errors"
}

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (02/16/91)

> I have not tried twm in unshared mode.  Are you using the Apollo r3 or r4
> server, the MIT r4 server, or something else?

FYI - ri.apollo.pskq2_91.v.10.3 has the new X11R4 "borrow mode" server.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@hpcvxph.cv.hp.com