[comp.sys.apollo] Need info about Apollo

phd_6s@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/17/91)

I have recently been given the option to purchase an IBM 6000 machine
or an Apollo.  What are the pros and cons between the two.  Furthermore,
what is a good source of information about the apollos.

Thanks,
Phillip Braun
Univ of Chicago

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb16.143938.1@gsbacd.uchicago.edu>, phd_6s@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

  I have recently been given the option to purchase an IBM 6000 machine
  or an Apollo.  What are the pros and cons between the two.  Furthermore,
  what is a good source of information about the apollos.

I have two Apollo nodes and an IBM rios (rs6000).  I use the rs6000 when I
want to listen to some tunes on the CD player and work on my tan in front of
that big color screen.  I use my Apollo when I want to get some real work
done.

The rs6000 is OK if you can figure out how to work the compiler.  It has to
be configured, and seems to come configured not to work by default.  You
really need the compiler because no useful programs come with the machine.

It runs AIX and seems even less like real Unix than the Apollo.  In a break
with IBM tradition, it uses reasonably up-to-date technology.  It has the
advantage (if you consider it that) of coming in a blue box.  This means the
company is not likely to get bought out any time soon.

You may want to get some less prejudiced opinions than mine before you buy.

rogden@uceng.UC.EDU (rob ogden) (02/19/91)

phd_6s@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>I have recently been given the option to purchase an IBM 6000 machine
>or an Apollo.  What are the pros and cons between the two.  Furthermore,

The only apollo that comes close to the MFLOPS of the 6000 is
the DN10000.
Roughly, linpack says, 6000 320 or 520 ~ 7MFLOPS, 10K /1 processor  ~ 6MFLOPS
You will see that the dollar difference is large.
Domain OS a is thorn in my side because we have only one apollo contrasted
with several 6000s. However, piecing together a bunch of 6000s is more trouble
than a bunch of apollos.

Good luck,
-Rob

Rob Ogden
rogden@uceng.UC.EDU
Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, ML70
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45221   513/556-3549