[comp.sys.apollo] Ethernet

n8844062@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (mizoguchi scott d) (02/15/91)

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about an ethernet card for
an Apollo DN3000. I'm looking for a 802.3 type / thin ethernet.
How about third party vendors???

Thanks

Scott Mizoguchi

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.235430.11635@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu>, n8844062@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (mizoguchi scott d) writes:

  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about an ethernet card for
  an Apollo DN3000. I'm looking for a 802.3 type / thin ethernet.
  How about third party vendors???

I've added this to the Apollo Q-and-A file, available by ftp from
dabo.ifs.umich.edu:

Question:  Are there third-party vendors of ethernet boards?

Answer:

The ethernet board used in the Otter (dn3000 series) is a 3Com 505.  You can
buy your own and perhaps save some money.  If you buy the board from Apollo,
it comes with a special PROM, which you won't have if you buy direct from
3Com.  That means you won't be able to boot diskless over the ethernet, or
make remote dumps over the ether.  But you'll still be able to boot from
disk, or over the ring if you have one.  And once the node is booted,
everything else will work fine.

The 505 is more expensive than some boards, because it has quite a bit of
on-board smarts and buffering.  No other ethernet board will work in the
Otter, unless you want to write your own driver, and even then you will lose
the ability to run domain protocols and TCP over the ether, which makes it
pretty useless.

Switch settings for the 505 are given in the file ether-switches.

 -- Jim Rees

ccsmm@gdt.bath.ac.uk (Martin Maclaren) (02/18/91)

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:

>The ethernet board used in the Otter (dn3000 series) is a 3Com 505.  You can
>buy your own and perhaps save some money.  If you buy the board from Apollo,
>it comes with a special PROM, which you won't have if you buy direct from
>3Com.  That means you won't be able to boot diskless over the ethernet, or
>make remote dumps over the ether.  But you'll still be able to boot from
>disk, or over the ring if you have one.  And once the node is booted,
>everything else will work fine.

Some further questions to those with experience in these matters...

DN3000+ATR+SR10.2 - Can one "simply" plug in a 505 and use it (with the
necessary editing & network setup) in addition to the ATR.

Does one need any additional software, or is there any additional software
that one should be aware of (another ftpd?)?

Is it worthwhile reading "Managing Domain Routing" or others?

Tell me of the joys of adding an ethernet connection :-)

Thanks,
Martin

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (02/21/91)

Yes.  Check the /systest/ssr_util/jumper program.  (I just did).  Although
it references 2 different ATbus ethernet cards, I saw no differences in the
jumper settings themselves (what the jumpers selected, but....)

> Does one need any additional software, or is there any additional software
> that one should be aware of (another ftpd?)?
You will need to tell Domain (DDS) services that there is another controller,
and what the netIDs are.  All machines on a single physical network should have
the same network ID, unless you like confusion.  Different networks should NOT
have the same netID, unless you like things to not work.  In the /etc/rc file,
you can set up the 'rtsvc' commands as you like.  If you are making your DN3000
act as a router, use the "rtsvc -dev DEVICE -net NETID -route" command.  If you
just want the DN3000 to have access to 2 networks, use the '-noroute' option
instead.  If you aren't using the controller for DDS services, you don't need
to worry too much -- TCP/IP is independent.  Other nodes shouldn't need to have
anything done (except for maybe changing the netID).  You can check DDS routing
with the 'lcnet' command.

To set up TCP routing you'll need a separate TCP network/subnetwork.  Without
knowing specifics (are you subnetting;  do you have official net numbers;  ...)
I can't help much there.  The extra commands you need are an additional
'ifconfig' invocation (see /etc/rc.local), and either a 'routed' or static-
route ('route') entry (or both).  Your other nodes on the ring will need to
have a route entered to get TCP/IP off the ring, either by using /etc/route to
enter a static one (e.g. '/etc/route -f add default dn3000.name 1') or by running
/etc/routed on the gateway and on the other nodes ('/etc/routed -f -q').  Running
lots of routed processes has its problems -- they tend to crash&burn.  This is
true even in vanilla Unix.  Listening for routes to all over when you know that
you're going to push everything through one bottleneck is kinda silly, too.

> Is it worthwhile reading "Managing Domain Routing" or others?
It's always worthwhile to read the manuals...  after you solve the problem.  :-)

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Me?  Represent Honeywell?  You've GOT to be kidding!!!