[comp.sys.apollo] COPS on the Apollo

scalera@batpa15.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) (02/15/91)

Has anybody been successful in running COPS in the Apollo environment?

--
*---------------------------------------------------------------------------*
| Eric Scalera                     |    BITNET/Internet: scalera@bnr.ca     |

markd@silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.133303.11982@bnr.ca> scalera@batpa15.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) writes:
>Has anybody been successful in running COPS in the Apollo environment?

I presented a paper at the ADUS 1990 Conference on my port of Dan
Farmer's COPS to the Apollo.  Here is the section from the paper telling
how to get a copy.

1.0 How to Get the COPS-A Programs

The programs are distributed in source form only.  For security reasons,
you will have to compile them on your workstation.  They have been
compiled under systype bsd4.3 but they should compile under sys5 with
little or no modifications.  COPS-A requires Domain O/S SR10.1 or later
and has been run under SR10.1 and SR10.2.

1.1 ADUS Tape

The Apollo Domain User Society provides, for a media fee, a collection
of member supplied programs.  All of the programs for this utility will
be available on that tape.

Contact:

     Andrea Woloski, ADUS Administrator
     ADUS
     300 Apollo Drive,  CHF02ADUS
     Chelmsford MA 01824

1.2 Bulletin Board

You can download all of these files from my Bulletin Board.  The phone
number is 619-549-3927.  The board is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
The modem is a USR HST9600 so you can call at any baud rate up to 9600
baud.

The files are in an archived file named COPS-A.ZIP in the area titled
'Apollo Aegis/Unix Programs and Files'.

If you do not have a ZIP archive management program, you will also need
to download PKZ???.EXE.  As of this writing, the latest version is 1.10.
If you get the programs this way, you will have to get the files onto
the Apollo.

1.3 Mail

Send one 1.2Meg floppy to the address below.  Silogic will create a wbak
diskette with all of the files.  When you send the diskette, include a
mailer which will be used to return them to you and put enough postage
on the mailer to satisfy the Postal Service.  In place of the floppy,
you can send a DC600A cartridge tape.

You can reach Silogic Systems at

     Silogic Systems
     9888 Carroll Center Road   Suite 113
     San Diego, CA 92126
     619-549-9841

--
Mark DiVecchio, Silogic Systems, 619-549-9841                       K3FWT
-----   9888 Carroll Center Road, Suite 113, San Diego, CA 92126    -----

wjw@ebs.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.133303.11982@bnr.ca> scalera@batpa15.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) writes:
=>Has anybody been successful in running COPS in the Apollo environment?

Yes, we have.
But since Apollo's do not adhere to the very limitted Unix protection scheme
( no flames, please :-) ) is there only a modest degree of confidence in the
outcome of the test. I've always wanted to look further into this, but one of
the things which limit this process is the ommision of user-usable system-calls
to read the ACL's on files, etc. (Are you listening APOLLO !!).
Even then are the results no 100% reliable, since the are things like
protected subsystems. But it would cover most of the very obvious holes.

Next to that has the security-checker (kuang) to be extended, since there are
more options of getting to a single objective. But this is not as hard as it
seems.

Ciao,
	Willem Jan Withagen
Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

df@sei.cmu.edu (Dan Farmer) (02/20/91)

In article <foo.bar>, markd@silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) writes:
> In article <foo.bar> scalera@batpa15.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) writes:
> >Has anybody been successful in running COPS in the Apollo environment?
>
> I presented a paper at the ADUS 1990 Conference on my port of Dan
> Farmer's COPS to the Apollo.  Here is the section from the paper telling
> how to get a copy.

  Please, if any of you make changes, send them to me, so I can
incorporate them into the main distribution and other people can utilize
them (unless, I guess, you don't want others to use it :-)).  I
had little trouble with the latest version (1.02) on the only apollo
system I had access to (9.7, I think); notes I had are in the
distribution file README.apollo.  I don't know of major changes to apollo
OS in 10.x that would require anything else major, but I'd be happy to
discuss further modifications to all of you apollo-ites.  Version 1.02
is available via anon-ftp at cert.sei.cmu.edu, ~ftp/pub/cops/1.02; I'd
like to hear of troubles that people have, or, as I said, modifications
made.

  As Willem Jan Withagen says, however, since Apollo's are significantly
different than real unix's, the results aren't as comforting as they
could be, since the tests are geared towards a generic unix, but even
if you only check passwords, you're way ahead, IMHO.

 -- dan

markd@silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) (02/21/91)

In article <19304@as0c.sei.cmu.edu> df@sei.cmu.edu (Dan Farmer) writes:
>In article <foo.bar>, markd@silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) writes:
>> In article <foo.bar> scalera@batpa15.bnr.ca (Eric Scalera) writes:
>> >Has anybody been successful in running COPS in the Apollo environment?
>>
>> I presented a paper at the ADUS 1990 Conference on my port of Dan
>
>  Please, if any of you make changes, send them to me, so I can
>incorporate them into the main distribution and other people can utilize
>them (unless, I guess, you don't want others to use it :-)).

:-)

I tried.

I guess there is a bad email connection between you and me.  I sent
email several times since last November with no luck.  Send or post your
USMail address and I'll send you a tar floppy (5.25" standard dumb Xenix
type) with the new programs.

It's a great program and as they say every little bit helps.