[comp.sys.apollo] Don't cut HPs throat with release notes!

leland@DRAGONFLY.WRI.COM (02/28/91)

Regarding the following posting:

>>From: mike%tuvie@mcsun.uucp  (Michael K. Gschwind)
>>Subject: cc 6.8 - beware
>>

>>I've just looked at the release notes of cc 6.8 - those of you who
>>don't read such crap as "KNOWN BUGS AND LIMITATIONS", beware:

        ---< deleted excerpt from release notes >---

>>Now add to this the known problems of sr 10.3 -
>>I am just wondering if sr 10.3 + cc 6.8 are really "the best OS and
>>compiler ever sold by HP/Apollo". - Well, they could be, considering what
>>they sold us before...

This kind of posting is both unwarranted and unfair.

One of the most likeable things about Apollo (and now, I guess, HP) is that
they try to release known bugs in an easy, condensed form. Every operating
system has bugs, and virtually every C compiler has difficulty with some
code. HP/Apollo has the decency to spell out what is wrong -- and what
is right -- with every product they release.

If you were having to break in 700,000+ lines of code to the new compiler,
you would be *overjoyed* at knowing what types of problems you are likely
to encounter.

Thank you HP/A, for tell me what hurdles to expect! I only wish you had
given me a workaround for the problem, as now I'll have to try a few
of the usual options until I find a working code variant.

As for postings such as the one above, I would ask that they not be permitted
to cause HP/A to in any way debate their policies on releasing known bugs --
but be cast aside as written by a user who has obviously undergone excessive
cranial calcification.

Leland E. Ray                             |
Systems Administration -- Unix Platforms  |  I am *not* Bob!
Wolfram Research, Inc.                    |
(217) 398 - 0700                          |    I had *nothing* to do with it!
leland@wri.com                            |