[comp.sys.apollo] Installing Domain/C 6.8 may require reinstall of OS 10.3

marc@ladwp (Marc Hall) (03/06/91)

  Domain 10.3 and the Domain/C 6.8 compiler provide ansi C functionality
finally but the installation procedure provides a few gotcha's.

  When configuring the OS 10.3 installation the installer is queried about
adding the OS ansi support and is warned not to add it if the Domain/C 6.8
compiler is not installed. The ansi support apparently will break the
6.7 compiler. If you do not have the 6.8 compiler the proper response
is not to add OS ansi support.

  If you have installed OS 10.3 without ansi support and wish to install
the Domain/C 6.8 with ansi support you must reinstall OS 10.3 with ansi
support.

  Domain OS 10.3 shipped several weeks before the compiler.

  The HP/Apollo 800 support confirms this and offers no workarounds.

  I have to reinstall 11 nodes, whats your damage ?

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/06/91)

In article <157@ladwp>, marc@ladwp (Marc Hall) writes:

    If you have installed OS 10.3 without ansi support and wish to install
  the Domain/C 6.8 with ansi support you must reinstall OS 10.3 with ansi
  support...
    The HP/Apollo 800 support confirms this and offers no workarounds.

They're just being over-cautious.  According to the release notes, the only
things that are different are /bin/cc, cpp, and the include files.  I would
think you could track these down in the AA and copy them by hand.

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (03/07/91)

When we did this (the pre-release 10.3 was not so vocal about the problems),
it din't break the compiler.  Instead, it limited to sr10.3 the O/S that
you could run the newly compiled programs on.  I believe it's because some
of the library calls got name changes w/ the ANSI support.

>   If you have installed OS 10.3 without ansi support and wish to install
> the Domain/C 6.8 with ansi support you must reinstall OS 10.3 with ansi
> support.
>   Domain OS 10.3 shipped several weeks before the compiler.
>   The HP/Apollo 800 support confirms this and offers no workarounds.
>   I have to reinstall 11 nodes, whats your damage ?
If/when we install the ANSI stuff, it'll be 28 nodes.  (Wanta trade?  :-)

What I will almost certainly do in this case is re-install one, find the
differences, and hand-copy the necessary files over from the AA.  This will
leave the baseline files out of synch, but it often is anyway the way we
reconfigure things.

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Me?  Represent Honeywell?  You've GOT to be kidding!!!