[comp.sys.apollo] What does Domain stand for?

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (03/08/91)

Is Domain an acronym? Like Distributed ... Network?

bfoley@flare.Sun.COM (Brian Foley - Sun SE - Detroit ) (03/09/91)

In article <503a03de.3593b@digital.sps.mot.com>, chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) writes:

|> Is Domain an acronym? Like Distributed ... Network?

Only an old time Apollo person (ie. before HP/Apollo) should
know this, if my memory serves me it's:
	Distributed
	Operating
	Multi
	Access
	Interactive
	Network

Brian Foley		email: bfoley@greatlakes.Central.Sun.COM
Systems Engineer	snail-mail: 1000 Town Center
Sun Microsystems		    Suite 1700
GreatLakes Region		    Southfield, MI 48075
			phone: (313)352-7070
Ex-Apollo, and a lot of other Ex's in my past.

dwv%cadnet@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Doug Vander Wilt) (03/09/91)

Here's some Apollo acronyms defined, including DOMAIN:

APR     Apollo probem report
ATR     Apollo token ring, 12MHz coax-based network
DM      display manager
DOMAIN  distributed operating multi-access interactive network
DQC     Domain Quick Connect (cable/connectory)
DSEE    Domain Software Engineering Environment
GMR     Graphics Metafile Resources
GPIO    General Purpose Input Output
GPR     Graphics Primitive Resources
HAP     hardware acceptance program
MBX     mailbox, communications protocol
MD      mnemonic debugger
NCA     Network Computing Architecture
NCS     Network Computing System
NLS     Network License Server
SAU     stand alone unit
SAX     system acceptance exerciser
SPM     server process manager
UID     unique identifier

beierl_c@apollo.HP.COM (Christopher Beierl) (03/09/91)

In article <503a03de.3593b@digital.sps.mot.com> chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) writes:

>Is Domain an acronym? Like Distributed ... Network?

Once upon a time...

    Domain stood for

        Distributed Operating Multi-Access Interactive Network

although that was a LONG time ago.  Very few people even remember
(or ever knew) that now.

-Chris
 Christopher T. Beierl  Internet: beierl_c@apollo.HP.COM;beierl_c@apollo.com
 Apollo Computer, Inc.      UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!beierl_c
 A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard                       Phone: (508) 256-6600

gaz@apollo.HP.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) (03/09/91)

From article <503a03de.3593b@digital.sps.mot.com>, by chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen):

> Is Domain an acronym? Like Distributed ... Network?

Distributed
Operating
Multiple (?)
Access
Interactive
Network

(or so I remember from when I started back in 1984.)

Gary Zaidenweber         +1-508-256-6600x4360    | You're only young
Apollo Systems Division, Hewlett Packard Company | once, but if you
UUCP:   {umix|decvax|mit-eddie}!apollo!gaz       | do it right,
ARPA:   gaz@apollo.HP.COM FAX: +1-508-250-4943   | once is enough!

DERSTAD@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM (03/11/91)

>  SAU    stand alone unit

Are you sure?  I thought it was Stand Alone Utility

bhoughto@pima.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (03/11/91)

In article <9103081802.AA02918@cadnet.micro.honeywell.com> dwv%cadnet@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Doug Vander Wilt) writes:
>Here's some Apollo acronyms defined, including DOMAIN:

What's a VTOC?

				--Blair
				  "I promise I don't know."

cees@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Cees Keyer) (03/11/91)

In article <503f12e0.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> gaz@apollo.HP.COM (Gary Zaidenweber) writes:
>From article <503a03de.3593b@digital.sps.mot.com>, by chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen):
>>
>> Is Domain an acronym? Like Distributed ... Network?
>
>Distributed
>Operating
>Multiple (?)
>Access
>Interactive
>Network
Or,

Dirty
Operating
Malfunctioning
Aborting
Imaginary
Network

If anoyone outhere has a better or funnier explaination for it
please let me know.

BTW I like the domain concept but it has some problems.
#include disclaimer.h

--
I am more up and down than a pair of kangaroos in the mating season
                                         Kryton     Red Dwarf

bfoley@flare.Sun.COM (Brian Foley - Sun SE - Detroit ) (03/11/91)

|> In article <9103081802.AA02918@cadnet.micro.honeywell.com> dwv%cadnet@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Doug Vander Wilt) writes:
|> >Here's some Apollo acronyms defined, including DOMAIN:

|> What's a VTOC?
|>
|> 				--Blair
|> 				  "I promise I don't know."

Volume Table Of Contents

Relates to the disk layout, used intead of inodes.

Brian

Brian Foley		email: bfoley@greatlakes.Central.Sun.COM
Systems Engineer	snail-mail: 1000 Town Center
Sun Microsystems		    Suite 1700
GreatLakes Region		    Southfield, MI 48075
			phone: (313)352-7070

With talent on loan from God     ;-)
(Rush Limbaugh on the E.I.B network)

delmastro@apollo.HP.COM (Peter DelMastro) (03/11/91)

In article <9103081802.AA02918@cadnet.micro.honeywell.com>,
dwv%cadnet@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Doug Vander Wilt) writes:
|> Here's some Apollo acronyms defined, including DOMAIN:
	.
	.
	.
|> SAX     system acceptance exerciser

	Actually it's System Acceptance eXecutive. Tests
	that are run from SAX may test at either an exerciser
	or diagnostic level, SAX itself isn't either.

 -- Pete DelMastro  delmastro@apollo.hp.com  UUCP: mit-eddie!apollo!delmastro
    Apollo Systems Division of Hewlett Packard, Testability and Diagnostics

randall@bcstec.boeing.com (Michael Randall) (03/13/91)

In article <9103081802.AA02918@cadnet.micro.honeywell.com>, dwv%cadnet@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Doug Vander Wilt) writes:
> Here's some Apollo acronyms defined, including DOMAIN:
[ ... deleted for brevity ]
> SAU     stand alone unit

  Beg your pardon here, but I believe that SAU is Stand Alone Utilities.
  As in /sau7 /sau8 for the different machine types. Feel free to
  correct me if I'm wrong. (And send money if I'm right) :)
--
  Michael W. Randall          |  Donations accepted via E-mail.

DERSTAD@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM (03/13/91)

>  What's a VTOC?
Volume Table Of Contents

Dave Erstad