[comp.sys.apollo] senmail / MX records

hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/01/91)

	Is there a sendmail for the Apollo systems (I run 3500/2500, SR10.2)
that supports MX records?  Has anyone ported newer versions of the code?  Is it
available at an FTP site?

	Thanks for any help you can offer.

						David Todd
						Wesleyan University

etb@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bushnell) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.173708.39510@eagle.wesleyan.edu> hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>	Is there a sendmail for the Apollo systems (I run 3500/2500, SR10.2)
>that supports MX records?  Has anyone ported newer versions of the code?  Is it
>available at an FTP site?

I compiled sendmail 5.65 obtained from an ftp site at U of Illinois.
It's working fine at 10.2 and 10.3. You need to undefine the SETPROCTITLE
and compile the getloadavg.c that's supplied as a supplementary file.
It's available at many sites. I think I got it from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu,
or something like that.

Now, has anybody got a version of sendmail that works with BIND on a
10.1 node? Or a version of BIND that works with sendmail?

disclaimer: I don't remember the details.

Eric Bushnell
UW Civil Engr
etb@zeus.ce.washington.edu

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (03/01/91)

In article <17411@milton.u.washington.edu>, etb@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bushnell) writes:
|> In article <1991Feb28.173708.39510@eagle.wesleyan.edu> hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
|> >
|> >	Is there a sendmail for the Apollo systems (I run 3500/2500, SR10.2)
|> >that supports MX records?  Has anyone ported newer versions of the code?  Is it
|> >available at an FTP site?
|> >
|> I compiled sendmail 5.65 obtained from an ftp site at U of Illinois.
|> It's working fine at 10.2 and 10.3. You need to undefine the SETPROCTITLE
|> and compile the getloadavg.c that's supplied as a supplementary file.
|> It's available at many sites. I think I got it from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu,
|> or something like that.

With the latest version from UIUC (5.65a) you don't need to change getloadavg -
it uses the xload one. However, there would appear to be a slight bug on
10.2/3 which is currently being worked on. I'd still mount this version
though, I expect the fix will be a small patch (they usually are) and
generally it seems to work fine.

|> Now, has anybody got a version of sendmail that works with BIND on a
|> 10.1 node? Or a version of BIND that works with sendmail?

We run this version (5.65a) on 10.1 - we did the previous IDA version too,
although with more problems. We have "upgraded" BIND to get it to work though
- we ported BIND 4.6 by turning the resolver into an inlib library, adding it
to the system configuration and removing the old resolver entries from the C
library. We've still got the code somewhere if someone is interested - it took
some rewriting of the source, and we never did get the debug stuff to work
properly. However, the resolver works fine, and named did too once you realise
that this also suffers from the SETPROCTITLE problem!

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (03/12/91)

Paul Pomes from uiuc just wrote to me advising the problem:

>The bug was found to be a previous patch that assumed that SIGCLD == SIGCHLD.
>When that isn't true (like on Apollos), two different signal handlers are
>in a race for the local mail child.
>
>It now works fine on Apollos.  I'm told that /bin/mail does not need to be
>replaced provided that the registry daemon is happy and running.

The new sendmail version is pub/sendmail-5.65b+IDA-1.4.3.tar.Z available at
uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

Seems to be rock solid so far on my DN3500 running sr10.3 which acts as our
gateway node.

	ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) (03/13/91)

In article <ianh.668750023@morgana> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>The new sendmail version is pub/sendmail-5.65b+IDA-1.4.3.tar.Z available at
>uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
>
>Seems to be rock solid so far on my DN3500 running sr10.3 which acts as our
>gateway node.

This turned out to be a great problem on our system (10.1 with
modified BIND). After some exploration with dde, it turned out
the getloadavg.c file had been changed so that the function
prototypes were no longer used (for proc1_$get... functions).
This was to allow compilation with -N ansi - ie. to allow
Apollo compilers to compile under 10.1 - but the resultant
binaries fall over (at least on our system), because the
function prototypes are essential.

The best fix is to return to version 1.4 (use co) and to put
the following line in the makefile:

CC=cc -U__STDC__

This has worked for us. If anyone else is having trouble, I'd
suggest trying this.

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST

PS. I've yet to try the 1.4.3 IDA .cf generation yet, but this
is less machine dependent.

In article <1991Mar12.220948.8204@cns.umist.ac.uk>, jf@ap.co.umist.ac.uk (John Forrest) writes:
|> The best fix is to return to version 1.4 (use co) and to put
|> the following line in the makefile:
|>
|> CC=cc -U__STDC__
|>
|> This has worked for us. If anyone else is having trouble, I'd
|> suggest trying this.

I've just realised I forgot to say "v1.4 of getloadavg.c" - the rest is fine.
If anyone needs to do this and is still using the version of rcs shipped with
10.1 you will have a problem, because it is not compatible - the simplest way
is to edit the RCS/getloadavg.c,v file and remove the line:

branch   ;

To be honest, though, I believe there are still a few 10.1 funnies out there
in the binaries. My uk.extras patches contain some. I still believe the conf.h
settings:

	EXPLICIT_CLOSE_ON_EXEC

and

	DOPRNT_FIX

are required for 10.1. Unfortunately, the current directory still refers to
the previous (5.65a+IDA1.4.2) distribution, and doesn't quite work with this
one. I've done the patches so I will soon be putting a new patch directory
together.

John Forrest
Dept of Computation
UMIST