[comp.sys.apollo] extended fonts: How do I display them in a pad?

jab0396@cec2.wustl.edu (John A. Breen) (03/09/91)

Since Apollo supports extended fonts (more than 256 characters), is
there any (easy) way to display an arbitrary character from the font
in a pad?

Why would someone want to do this? Well, one of our sys_admins here
wants to create an on-line newsletter - something that could be pulled
up in a window without having to write a special program to do it.
His plans are to put all of the fonts he needs (collected from other
fonts) into one large font, do a font load, and display the newsletter
in a pad.

If this isn't possible, is there a way to display the unprintable
characters from a standard font?

Any help would be appreciated.
-----
John A. Breen 				|  johnb@hobbes.mdc.com
McDonnell Douglas Missile Systems Co.	|  jab0396@cec1.wustl.edu (forwarded ^)
Tel: (314)234-4341

ahmet@hpubhga.gsr.hp.com (Ahmet Ertem) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar8.230513.19965@cec1.wustl.edu> jab0396@cec2.wustl.edu
(John A. Breen) writes:

> Since Apollo supports extended fonts (more than 256 characters), is
> there any (easy) way to display an arbitrary character from the font
> in a pad?
>
> (some text removed)
> His plans are to put all of the fonts he needs (collected from other
> fonts) into one large font, do a font load, and display the newsletter
> in a pad.

The edfont utility allows you to copy glyphs from other fonts to the
font currently being edited regardless of any font and glyph parameters.
At SR10 use the "Copy to Glyph" function from the "Glyph" pulldown menu
of the edfont utility.

You can then use the "compose" key as defined by the "kbm" command to
insert any character above 0x7f into a pad once you have loaded the font
file.

Ahmet Ertem
System Engineer.
email: ertem_a@sultan.gsr.hp.com
phone: +49-6172-161808   fax: +49-6172-161309
addr.: Hewlett-Packard GmbH, D-6380 Bad Homburg, F.R.Germany