[comp.sys.apollo] NFS mount of Apollo stations flakey from SunOS 4.1

marc@pandora.matrox.com (Marc P. Rinfret) (03/15/91)

Greetings,
	I have been experiencing this strange problem mounting Apollo
stations (running SR10.1) from a Sun running 4.1.

	Although everything works fine for a while, eventually some top
level entries disappear from the mount point.

This is how it looks like initially: (pluton is a Sun 4/260 running 4.1,
apollo is the NFS server for a ring of 31 DN35X0 running SR10.1)

-----
marc@pluton> grep apollo /etc/fstab
apollo://               /apollo         nfs     rw,bg,intr,actimeo=1     0 0
marc@pluton> cd /apollo
marc@pluton> ls -a
./           batman/      haddock/     lefuneste/   popeye/      tournesol/
achille/     brutus/      hagar/       lucky_luke/  robin/       tweety/
alf/         daffy/       idefix/      obelix/      rupert/
archie/      dino/        jeremy/      odie/        snoopy/
asterix/     garfield/    joker/       olive/       sqeedly/
atomas/      gaston/      lebrac/      peanut/      tintin/
-----

After a while this is what we get:

-----
marc@pluton> ls -a
./         alf/       asterix/   batman/    daffy/     garfield/
achille/   archie/    atomas/    brutus/    dino/      gaston/
-----

Unmounting and remounting /apollo cures the problem for a while.
This problem only started after the upgrade to SunOS 4.1, we still
have a 4.0.3 machine and it is not acting up.

I've tried various mount options without much luck.  Anyone seen this?
Any cure, bug fix, work around?

					Thanks in advance,
							Marc.

--
Marc P. Rinfret		Systems Administrator		      marc@matrox.com
(514)685-7230 x2604	Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd.	...!uunet!matrox!marc

wilsonj@gtephx.UUCP (Jay Wilson) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar14.170338.25374@pandora.matrox.com>, marc@pandora.matrox.com (Marc P. Rinfret) writes:
> Greetings,
> 	I have been experiencing this strange problem mounting Apollo
> stations (running SR10.1) from a Sun running 4.1.
>
> 	Although everything works fine for a while, eventually some top
> level entries disappear from the mount point.

We had the same type of problem with sr10.1.  After we did some investigation
we found that it appeared to be a problem with the Apollo code.  Apollo
support recommended that we try running sr10.2 NFS on the sr10.1 node.  The
problem disappeared.

Jay Wilson (wilsonj@gtephx)
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!wilsonj
AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, AZ
voice (602) 581-4496
fax   (602) 581-4967