[comp.sys.apollo] Font Conversions

bergstr@SSDC.HONEYWELL.COM (-Darryl Bergstrom Apollo/Symbolics/News/Mail Administrator) (03/13/91)

Has anyone ever tried to convert any of the Apollo /sys/dm/fonts/* to
the XWindow snf format?

Thanks.....

-Darryl Bergstrom   Apollo/Symbolics/News/Mail Administrator
-Honeywell SRC/SSDC IS Minneapolis, MN
-bergstr@ssdc.honeywell.com

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/13/91)

In article <9103121956.AA07590@nntp.ssdc.honeywell.com>, bergstr@SSDC.HONEYWELL.COM (-Darryl Bergstrom   Apollo/Symbolics/News/Mail Administrator) writes:

  Has anyone ever tried to convert any of the Apollo /sys/dm/fonts/* to
  the XWindow snf format?

I keep meaning to add this to the FAQ file, but I can't ever remember all
the details.  You use edfont to write out your font in bdf format, then use
bdftosnf to convert it to snf.  Inter-character spacing gets lost somewhere
along the way, so you have to set this to 0 in edfont and increase the width
of each glyph by the same amount.

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (03/13/91)

In article <9103121956.AA07590@nntp.ssdc.honeywell.com> bergstr@SSDC.HONEYWELL.COM (-Darryl Bergstrom   Apollo/Symbolics/News/Mail Administrator) writes:
> Has anyone ever tried to convert any of the Apollo /sys/dm/fonts/* to
> the XWindow snf format?

Sure.  Under SR9.7, the X release contained a little utility called
"gpr2bdf" that performed the necessary conversion.  I converted all the
Display Manager fonts with no problems.  Since then, this little utility
has vanished from the X release (but not from my disk :-).  Anyone from
HP/Apollo want to comment?

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (03/14/91)

In article <9103121956.AA07590@nntp.ssdc.honeywell.com> bergstr@SSDC.HONEYWELL.COM (-Darryl Bergstrom   Apollo/Symbolics/News/Mail Administrator) writes:

   Has anyone ever tried to convert any of the Apollo /sys/dm/fonts/* to
   the XWindow snf format?

   Thanks.....

Yes, anybody has tried and succeeded, not only in converting the font
but also in losing all the notes on how it was done.  So this is from
memory alone:  I did the din_f7x11 font.  You need to open it in
edfont.  din_f7x11 has no glyph for space; you must add one, or your X
windows will look mighty funny.  Also, there is an inter character
spacing in din_f7x11 set to one or two pixels that X will ignore, so
you need to increase the width of all glyphs by that amount.  There
are menu items that will let you find the necessary information and do
those changes on all glyphs -- no need to laboriously deal with each
and every one!

Next, you need to save the font in an alternative format.  If my
memory serves me right, that format is BDF.  Then convert to SNF
format using bdftosnf.  Put the font in a suitable directory where X
can find it and run mkfontdir in that directory.

Finally, having done all this, and discovered all the missing details
I didn't tell you because I forgot and lost my notes, write it all up
and send it to Jim Rees so he can put it in the FAQ file.  Good luck!

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

ahmet@hpubhga.gsr.hp.com (Ahmet Ertem) (03/15/91)

In article <GLENN.91Mar13095541@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com> glenn@bitstream.com
(Glenn Parker) writes:

> In article <9103121956.AA07590@nntp.ssdc.honeywell.com> bergstr@SSDC.HONEYWELL.COM (-Darryl Bergstrom   Apollo/Symbolics/News/Mail Administrator) writes:
> > Has anyone ever tried to convert any of the Apollo /sys/dm/fonts/* to
> > the XWindow snf format?
>
> Sure.  Under SR9.7, the X release contained a little utility called
> "gpr2bdf" that performed the necessary conversion.  I converted all the
> Display Manager fonts with no problems.  Since then, this little utility
> has vanished from the X release (but not from my disk :-).  Anyone from
> HP/Apollo want to comment?

At SR10 the edfont utility has a builtin gpr2bdf filter. It can be invoked
from the "File" pulldown menu. The /usr/bin/X11 directory contains a filter
"bdftosnf" that takes bdf-files or standard input and sends its output to
standard output.

You may wish to glance through the bdf-file and edit the "FONT" pathname
declaration to suit your needs before you send it through the bdftosnf
filter.

Hope this helps.
Ahmet Ertem.
System Engineer.
email: ertem_a@sultan.gsr.hp.com
phone: +49-6172-161808    fax: +49-6172-161309
addr.: Hewlett-Packard GmbH, D-6380 Bad Homburg, F.R.Germany

In article <8110003@hpubhga.gsr.hp.com> ahmet@hpubhga.gsr.hp.com (Ahmet Ertem) writes:
>> Display Manager fonts with no problems.  Since then, this little utility
>> has vanished from the X release (but not from my disk :-).  Anyone from
>> HP/Apollo want to comment?
>
>At SR10 the edfont utility has a builtin gpr2bdf filter. It can be invoked
>from the "File" pulldown menu. The /usr/bin/X11 directory contains a filter
That would almost be a good replacement.  If only I was running the
DM so I could run edfont :-).
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.