[comp.sys.apollo] Rotting Routing Problem?

rmallett@ccs.carleton.ca (Rick Mallett) (03/13/91)

I'm trying to get TCP/IP services to work on a network of 5 Apollo
workstations running SR10.2 and I'm finding that the routing tables
on the hosts disappear a few minutes after booting the gateway even
though "netstat -r" on the gateway shows it has a full routing table.
All machines use Apollo Token Ring for Domain services - the gateway
has an ethernet card as well which is connected to the campus network.
All 5 machines are setup to use name service (nmconfig -h hostent_bind)
from Suns on the campus ethernet (i.e. named is not running on the ATR).

There is a slight subtlety here. The machines are configured with an
Apollo netid (set using netsvc) to isolate them from some other machines
running SR9.7 on the same cable. I did this because I'm converting the
net to SR9.7 but I don't want  to convert the SR9.7 registry since it
contains hundreds of obsolete accounts and I want to start over with
a new registry. I've been moving the currently active users one by one
onto the new system and it has all been working fine up to now.

The point is that I don't want to install an Apollo Internet; in fact,
I don't want my 5 machines to know anything at all about the other nodes.
I do want my 5 nodes to see the real Internet. The manual "Managing Domain/OS
and Domain Routing in an Internet" seems to assume that I want to set up an
Apollo Domain network and I'm not sure how much of it is relevant to my
problem. When I follow the instructions in "Configuring and Managing TCP/IP"
I can't get the routing tables to stay around for more than a few minutes.
If I boot the gateway node, it sends the Internet routing tables to the hosts
which then function normally for about 10 minutes. After that "netstat -r" just
hangs after printing the header or I get a message that no routing tables were
found. If I sit on the gateway machine "netstat -r" always shows a complete
routing table and I can ftp and telnet from there to anywhere in the world.

1. ATR network with netid set to "e1" running SR10.2
2. Gateway configured with RING and ETH802.3_AT interfaces.
3. routed invoked with "-f -q" on hosts and "-f" on gateway.
4. nmconfig -h hostent_bind on all nodes to use campus ethernet name service.

Requirement:
Advice on how to configure an Apollo Token Ring network to use TCP/IP services
to access the Internet Internet (i.e not a Domain Internet). Any advice on how
to proceed to debug the problem myself would also be greatly appreciated.

randall@bcstec.boeing.com (Michael Randall) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar13.144404.20653@ccs.carleton.ca>, rmallett@ccs.carleton.ca (Rick Mallett) writes:
> I'm trying to get TCP/IP services to work on a network of 5 Apollo
> workstations running SR10.2 and I'm finding that the routing tables
> on the hosts disappear a few minutes after booting the gateway even
> though "netstat -r" on the gateway shows it has a full routing table.
> All machines use Apollo Token Ring for Domain services - the gateway

 On our hosts we don't use the routed. We have one command in
 /etc/rc.local "route add default ip.address.of.gateway.domain.ring 1".
 This tells the hosts that they should ask the gateway for any routing
 information. If your hosts file has:
    192.192.10.10  host_eth0
    150.150.150.1  host_dr0
    then rc.local should have:
    if [ -f /etc/route ]; then
       /etc/route  add  default  150.150.150.1  1
    fi
 I haven't experimented with changing the net ID. But this is worth a
 try. It has solved our TCP/IP problems (similar to yours).
--
  Michael W. Randall          |  Phone: (206) 965-9557