[comp.sys.apollo] Where is the 68040

mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) (03/12/91)

In article <9103112113.AA20443@hpcvxph.cv.hp.com> tomg@HPCVXPH.CV.HP.COM (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:
>If you want X11R4 support AND 68040 support, there is souped up version
>of psk8 (68040 support) with X11R4 added.

Has anybody using DomainOS received their 68040 yet? We ordered a 425t back
in July (?) and still have not received the CPU update!

I just keep wondering how many customers Motorola is losing due to delivery
difficulties...

				bye,
					mike

Michael K. Gschwind, Dept. of VLSI-Design, Vienna University of Technology
mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at	1-2-3-4 kick the lawsuits out the door
mike@vlsivie.uucp		5-6-7-8 innovate don't litigate
e182202@awituw01.bitnet		9-A-B-C interfaces should be free
Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144	D-E-F-O look and feel has got to go!
Fax:   (++43).1.569697

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (03/15/91)

>> pskq2_91 is a formal Domain/OS release available from Apollo to be installed
>> on top of SR10.3    Contact your Apollo sales rep I suppose.

> Offhand, what are the chances it would run on 10.2?

The pskq2_91 /etc/Xdomain server requires some additional kernel support to
facilitate the DM <=> X switching.  pskq2_91 would only be supported on SR10.3

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

DERSTAD@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM (03/15/91)

> Has anybody using DomainOS received their 68040 yet?

We just got our first two.  One's been installed, and the other's
going into my node this weekend.  I'll post some EDA application
benchmark results when available.

One caveat - at least one of our third party vendors (Mentor;  a small
company you may have heard of :-)  ) doesn't officially support
the 425t yet.  I haven't heard any official word from our other
vendors.

Dave Erstad
Honeywell SSEC

In article <101020029@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:
>>> pskq2_91 is a formal Domain/OS release available from Apollo to be installed
>>> on top of SR10.3    Contact your Apollo sales rep I suppose.
>
>> Offhand, what are the chances it would run on 10.2?
>
>The pskq2_91 /etc/Xdomain server requires some additional kernel support to
>facilitate the DM <=> X switching.  pskq2_91 would only be supported on SR10.3

Reasonable.  I assume that when I switch, the windows in the other
window system continue working and don't block?  (Currently in share-mode
for instance, you can hang your system completely if an X program starts
dumping output into a DM pad while it's doing X stuff.)

Also, I asked this earlier but didn't get a response.  Is cut and paste
between the DM and X still supported?

How do you configure the hot key?

If I use xdm to log in, do I have to do a separate login into the DM
display?

(Sorry about all the questions.  I'm just trying to decide whether it's
worth upgrading to 10.3)
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

One more question I forgot.

What version of the server is this?  And does it support the Shape
extension?
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (03/19/91)

Another caveat for the 68040 upgrades ...

If you haven't already noticed in the latest issue of HP's FYI
mailing, they've reduced the Mflop rating of the 68040. When
they first announced the 425t last June, HP quoted 20 MIPS and
3.5 Mflops. Now they are saying 20 MIPS and 2.6 Mflops, or
2.9 Mflops if you have an optional external cache installed
to supplement the on-chip data cache. I don't remember if the cache
can be added to the desktop boxes (ie. 400t/425t), it may only
be available on the deskside boxes (ie. 4002/425s/433s).

Another belated gift from Motorola ...

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

ericb@srvr1 (Eric Bratton,235 Chry Ctr,9363561,) (03/19/91)

From article <9103181736.AA16392@richter.mit.edu>, by krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz):
> If you haven't already noticed in the latest issue of HP's FYI
> mailing, they've reduced the Mflop rating of the 68040. When
> they first announced the 425t last June, HP quoted 20 MIPS and
> 3.5 Mflops. Now they are saying 20 MIPS and 2.6 Mflops, or
> 2.9 Mflops if you have an optional external cache installed
> to supplement the on-chip data cache. I don't remember if the cache
> can be added to the desktop boxes (ie. 400t/425t), it may only
> be available on the deskside boxes (ie. 4002/425s/433s).

We have a 425T now, and according to the ADUS linpackd.ftn, they
run at 2.2 MFLOPS.  This is with the Rev 10.8 fortran compiler with
the "-opt 4 -cpu mathlib" flags.  A DN3500 returns with about .25 MFLOPS,
for comparison.  Your milage may vary, of course.

*

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar17.222204.27277@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>One more question I forgot.
>
>What version of the server is this?  And does it support the Shape
>extension?

X11R4, yes I have xeyes running without the rectangle border. Regarding your
question in a previous posting, the 'hot key' by default is defined as "kd
F9c cpo /com/sigp xdomain -c 9010011;ke". Or you can send a signal 'usr1' to
switch from X to DM, and 'usr2' from DM to X.

Besides of the X11R4 server, the OSF Motif window manager is also included.
The release notes mentioned something about HP granting a license for the
Motif environment to all systems covered under maintenance agreements.

My real disappointment is that none of X11R4 clients are included. I managed
to compile xeyes along with Jim Ree's x11r4lib to see if the server support
the Shape extension.

The server appears to be fast, but I didn't run any benchmarks (xperf?).

--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338
Motorola, Inc.  SPS  Mesa, AZ

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (03/20/91)

-----

goodgulf@lut.fi (Hannu Martikka) writes:

> Can I get X11R4 (Hp/Apollo release not mit) to 10.2?

Again, changes to the kernel and DM along with three system libraries were
made to support the new server.  SR10.3 + pskq2_91 is needed (or SR10.3 +
psk8 + psk8x_040).

> We do have 10.3 (tapes) but none have ever looked at them, .........

Any chance you could update a single node of your's and check things out ?
We actually found SR10.3 to be far more solid than SR10.2.

> Does anyone know if there are any major diffs between mit X11R4 and
> Hp/Apollo X11R4 release? (speed,etc...)

The performance should be improved, and the borrow mode mechanism is enhanced.
With the MIT version, the server must be killed before the DM returns.   With
the new server, you can toggle between X and the DM without blocking/killing
either.

-----

nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:

>> The pskq2_91 /etc/Xdomain server requires some additional kernel support to
>> facilitate the DM <=> X switching. pskq2_91 would only be supported on SR10.3

> Reasonable.  I assume that when I switch, the windows in the other
> window system continue working and don't block?  (Currently in share-mode
> for instance, you can hang your system completely if an X program starts
> dumping output into a DM pad while it's doing X stuff.)

Both sides remain active.   Example: when you have the DM active, the X side
just acts like the screen saver was kicked on (ie, a fake black window is
mapped over the entire screen and all X clients just think they're obscured).
A few other things happen, but suffice it to say nothing is blocked and
everything works fine (both ways).

> Also, I asked this earlier but didn't get a response.  Is cut and paste
> between the DM and X still supported ?

I saw your previous question, but didn't know how to respond.   I believe
not.   If you understand X's cut buffers (old method ?) and selections (new
method ? ICCCM ?), it might be possible to write a client that could feed
X buffers into the DM.

> How do you configure the hot key?

For X, see the file /sys/node_data/etc/X0pointerkeys, the bottom section.

For the DM, see section 1.1.2.1 of the pskq2_91 release notes.

> If I use xdm to log in, do I have to do a separate login into the DM
> display?

Depends.  If xdm is started from bootup, no DM exists.

If xdm is fired up from outside a DM session (rlogin, cron, whatever), yes,
you have to log in twice :-(    All I can say about this: a feature is born
every minute.

Actually, if you log into the DM and fire up xdm, you'll have to log into
xdm once again.

-----

nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes again:

> What version of the server is this?  And does it support the Shape
> extension?

Its a fully loaded X11R4 server.  It includes:
     o Shape Extension
     o Input Extension
     o Input Synthesis Extension
     o Multibuffer Extension
     o MIT Misc Extension(s)

It also includes scalable font technology.

/etc/Xdomain is the new server.  /etc/Xapollo remains as the share mode server.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

In article <101020032@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:
>> Also, I asked this earlier but didn't get a response.  Is cut and paste
>> between the DM and X still supported ?
>
>I saw your previous question, but didn't know how to respond.   I believe
>not.   If you understand X's cut buffers (old method ?) and selections (new
>method ? ICCCM ?), it might be possible to write a client that could feed
>X buffers into the DM.
It more than might be.  In share mode it was coded into the DM (and
possibly X) so that it worked (although for some reason, not 100% of
the time).  I was just wondering if the functionality was preserved.

>Its a fully loaded X11R4 server.  It includes:
>     o Shape Extension
>     o Input Extension
>     o Input Synthesis Extension
>     o Multibuffer Extension
>     o MIT Misc Extension(s)
>
>It also includes scalable font technology.
Ah.  Now I might consider going to 10.3!

--

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/21/91)

In article <101020032@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:

  > Also, I asked this earlier but didn't get a response.  Is cut and paste
  > between the DM and X still supported ?

  I saw your previous question, but didn't know how to respond.   I believe
  not.   If you understand X's cut buffers (old method ?) and selections (new
  method ? ICCCM ?), it might be possible to write a client that could feed
  X buffers into the DM.

I get the impression from this remark that the Corvallis folks aren't very
familiar with the DM (not surprising).  That's too bad, because cross-cut
would be easier and faster to do in the X server (it just has to read/write
a file) than in the DM (it has to open a connection to the X server).

Cross-cut has never really worked right.  In sr10.3 with the share-mode
server, it works until you log out, then never works again until you reboot.
It is apparently implemented completely in the DM, not the X server, so I
would expect it would still work the same way with the new borrow-mode
server.

I have a little X client that sits in the corner of my screen, with buttons
to copy between the X cut buffer and the DM paste buffer.  It's inconvenient
but gets the job done.

Too bad HP decided to dissolve the Apollo X group and move everything to
Corvallis.  This pretty much guarantees that the DM and X will never work
together properly.  Not that Corvallis isn't competent -- they are -- but
just that they don't know or care about the DM.