[comp.sys.apollo] 10.3 mh

cosc4fp@jetson.uh.edu (03/16/91)

I had the same problem with 10.3 xmh ... the scan and the pack commands are
flaky (actually the mh commands).  I called the Apollo Response Center and got
"We don't support it" ....  [the typical Apollo answer]

I'm keeping a 10.2 copy around and see what happens...Also...we are going to
try to get the latest copy of mh and build it ourselves.

Doug Acker
ChemShare Corporation
dla@chemsh.UUCP

Ever wonder why SUN Response Center is much more helpful?

rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM (03/21/91)

> I had the same problem with 10.3 xmh ... the scan and the pack commands are
> flaky (actually the mh commands).  I called the Apollo Response Center and got
> "We don't support it" ....  [the typical Apollo answer]
>
> I'm keeping a 10.2 copy around and see what happens...Also...we are going to
> try to get the latest copy of mh and build it ourselves.

It doesn't bother me that HP/Apollo doesn't support the MH stuff. They
say they don't. Thats fine and dandy. Subscribe to the MH news group
(comp.mail.mh) or join the mailing list. You will get lots of support.
(Perhaps too much even.)  If HP/Apollo's version don't work, get the
source and compile it. (I did the same for the brain dead version of
sendmail they distribute.)

***** FLAME ON *****
If HP/Apollo will distribute all the stuff they do in /usr/new, and
say it is unsupported, why won't they distribute other freeware stuff?
Like extra X clients, some of the GNU stuff (the legal wenies not
withstanding), and the such.

AND INCLUDES THE SOURCE TOO!!!!!
***** FLAME OFF *****

I don't mind unsupported software. I often get better 'support' for
unsupported software than I do for supported software. But don't tie
our hands by with holding the source. If we call and say that the scan
command of MH is broken, and you say tough, it is unsupported, give us
the capability to repair it ourselves.

Sorry, I'll step down from the pulpit now.

--
Douglas Keenan Rand                Honeywell -- Air Transport Systems Division
Phone: +1 602 436 2814               US Snail: P.O. Box 21111 Phoenix AZ 85036