[comp.sys.apollo] Another NFS gotcha

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (03/22/91)

I have seen quite a number of features that made me want to throw our
Apollos out of the nearest window, but the following beats most of them:

% tar cvf /dev/null fixes
tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes.  It is of type nfs_dir.
tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes/Xt_ack_page_2.PS.  It is of type nfs_file.
tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes/fix-1.  It is of type nfs_file.
tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes/fix-10.  It is of type nfs_file.
tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes/fix-11.  It is of type nfs_file.
tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes/fix-2.  It is of type nfs_file.

Apollo has it's own, wonderful network filing system, right?  What
makes you think they would want to support the network filing system
of their main competitor?  Give me a break.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/22/91)

In article <HANCHE.91Mar21205748@hufsa.imf.unit.no>, hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:

  % tar cvf /dev/null fixes
  tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes.  It is of type nfs_dir.

This isn't a bug in nfs, it's a bug in tar.  Apollo tar is badly broken and
always has been.  I use John Gilmore's tar, and it works fine on nfs files
(and afs files, and v2 files).  I made a few tweaks to get it to work better
with the Apollo typed file system, but this isn't strictly necessary.

This bug is especially appalling because the text of the error message
indicates that someone intentionally introduced this bug -- it wasn't just a
side-effect.  Someone was seriously confused.

You can get my version of Gilmore tar by ftp from dabo.citi.umich.edu.

In article <508478b3.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>In article <HANCHE.91Mar21205748@hufsa.imf.unit.no>, hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:
>
>  % tar cvf /dev/null fixes
>  tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes.  It is of type nfs_dir.
>
>This isn't a bug in nfs, it's a bug in tar.  Apollo tar is badly broken and

Another thing to watch out for.  Tar isn't too hot on closing files.
We have a distributed software development system that works over UUCP
and uses tar to transfer updates.  Often we'll ship 50 or 60 source
files along with an equal number of control files.  But if we exceed
100 or so files tar dies - having run out of streams.

You might try /usr/apollo/bin/pax.  It can do both tar and cpio archives.

							-kee
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar23.053057.14306@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
=>In article <508478b3.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
=>>In article <HANCHE.91Mar21205748@hufsa.imf.unit.no>, hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:
=>>
=>>  % tar cvf /dev/null fixes
=>>  tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive fixes.  It is of type nfs_dir.
=>>
=>>This isn't a bug in nfs, it's a bug in tar.  Apollo tar is badly broken and
=>

I have not been able to replicate this problem:
	(trying to tar the sun root file-system.)

$ /bin/tar cvf /dev/null /usr/sun/root
a /usr/sun/root/etc/fstab 1 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/exports 1 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/nd.local 1 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/dkinfo 48 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/nd 96 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/dump 176 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/rdump symbolic link to /etc/dump
a /usr/sun/root/etc/group 2 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/hosts 2 blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/hosts.equiv 1 blocks
[ and more ]

the version I'm, running is: (on a sr10.2 system)
$ ts /bin/tar

Ver Name              Time Stamp                     File Name
c 1 crt0              1989/03/16 17:53:57 MET (Thu)  /bin/tar

Ciao,
	Willem Jan
Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar23.053057.14306@alphalpha.com>, nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:

  You might try /usr/apollo/bin/pax.  It can do both tar and cpio archives.

At sr10.3 they gave up on tar and made it a link to pax.  I still don't have
much confidence in it.