[comp.sys.apollo] Mounting 2500 diskless

crh@RENOIR.ENG.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Charlotte Hawley) (03/26/91)

Can someone please help me -
I am having problems with a DN2500 /disk.
I have booted the 2500 diskless to another
2500 and am trying to mount the disk.
I have the feeling that the standard
 mount /dev/wn0a /mtpt
is not the correct procedure (I am running
10.2 BSD).

Thanks,
Charlotte

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (03/26/91)

Take a look at the shell script /etc/mkdsk. It describes
how to create the device file for your disk for both the
BSD and SYSV environments. /dev/wn0a is (according to my
understanding of the shell script) Winchester drive, SCSI
controller 0 (ie. the DN2500's single SCSI port), disk 0
(ie. the SCSI unit number of the drive), logical volume 1.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (03/27/91)

In article <9103261516.AA01884@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>Take a look at the shell script /etc/mkdsk. It describes
>how to create the device file for your disk for both the
>BSD and SYSV environments. /dev/wn0a is (according to my
>understanding of the shell script) Winchester drive, SCSI
>controller 0 (ie. the DN2500's single SCSI port), disk 0
>(ie. the SCSI unit number of the drive), logical volume 1.

Note that the system disk supplied by HP/Apollo is SCSI device 6, not
device 0, so you need the wn96a/rwn96a entries in /dev. Note also that
SR10.3 fails to build /dev/wn96a properly when you install it - it
builds /dev/w996a, which may or may not be the proper item (I have a
Hotline call open for over a month on this). I will find out the hard
way I guess when my DN2500 disk bites the big one.
Note also that the instructions on building /dev/wn96a and
/dev/rwn96a from UNIX in the DN2500 manual are utter nonsense
(the Aegis commands are correct as far as I can tell, but we don't have
Aegis so that ain't a whole lot of good).
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca