[comp.sys.apollo] thanks

csfst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Charles S. Fuller) (03/09/90)

To those who replied: "Thanks!" for your assistance in using tar
with a ctape.  I "knew" this at one time, long ago, but forgot.
Overdosed on wbak, I guess.

Chuck Fuller

andrason@MAESTRO.MITRE.ORG (Jackie Andrason) (03/26/91)

Thanks to all of those who replied to my request concerning the 8mm tape drive for Apollo workstations.  The answer, of course, is yes, 8mm tape drives can be attached to Apollo's, and Workstation Solutions was almost unanimously chosen as the vendor.  Thanks again.

Jackie Andrason
The MITRE Corporation
e-mail: andrason@mitre.org

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (03/26/91)

I've recently received information that HP/Apollo's PSK 4 or
PSK 5 (not sure which) adds supports for external SCSI tape
drives, including the Exabyte drive, to the WD7000 controller
and to the DN2500. I don't have these PSK's, so I can't verify
this. Can someone who does have them please check the release
notes and post the answer to this mailing list? If true, this
would provide an alternative to Workstation Solutions package.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (03/27/91)

> I've recently received information that HP/Apollo's PSK 4 or
> PSK 5 (not sure which) adds supports for external SCSI tape
> drives, including the Exabyte drive, to the WD7000 controller
> and to the DN2500. I don't have these PSK's, so I can't verify
> this. Can someone who does have them please check the release
> notes and post the answer to this mailing list? If true, this
> would provide an alternative to Workstation Solutions package.

Dave --
    You're mostways right with both PSK numbers.  However, sr10.2 includes
SCSI tape support for all the nodes except the 2500 (and the 400 nodes, that
need some PSK to run 10.2, and should be at 10.3 if possible.)  We have not
had any problems with the WD7000 controller and 10.2 nodes while running
3rd party Exabyte drives or 3rd party Maxtor disks (XT-8760E 697MB), using
Apollo's "tar" or "omniback" software.  I've had one tech say that he used
wbak to the 8mm, but when I tried, it just cycled through the tape-drive
select process (I could hear/see it trying), but never wrote anything.

    PSK4 provides support for the SCSI devices, the MDEM, and some other stuff
for 10.1 nodes.  It is _NOT_ needed for 10.2, and should not be loaded on 10.2
or later O/S revs.  PSK5 is primarily an X11 augmentation, to allow HP-VUE to
function.  It also provided support for SCSI devices on the DN2500.

    If either of these PSKs would be useful to you, do not contact me.  Contact
your friendly HP/Apollo representative instead.  I will not distribute the
software update, since it wouldn't be nice, and would get me in boatloads
of trouble.   :-(

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Me?  Represent Honeywell?  You've GOT to be kidding!!!

PSK4 and PSK5 overview info provided for your enjoyment.
                            Product Support Kit (SFW-PSK4-MED10)

                          Chapter 1: Product Support Kit Overview

                This Product Support Kit (SFW-PSK4-MED10) provides addi-
                tional software support for Series 3500(TM), Series
                4000(TM), and Series 4500(TM) Apollo(R) workstations running
                SR10.1. For these workstations, this PSK moves the operating
                system revision level up to SR10.1.2 and is required to sup-
                port the following:

                   o SCSI devices controlled by the Multi-Function Peri-
                     pheral Controller (SWFC), including:

                        o Apollo's SCSI 8-mm tape drive device used with
                          OmniBack(TM) running on SR10.1.

                        o SCSI 1/2-inch reel-to-reel tape drive.

                        o SCSI 1/4-inch cartridge tape drive.

                   o The conversion of the 19-inch color monitor (010700)
                     from a 68-Hz screen refresh rate to a 70-Hz screen
                     refresh rate. (Preserved from SFW-PSK3-MED10.)

                   o The Disk/Multiple Disk Expansion Module, striping on
                     multiple disk configurations, and enhanced support for
                     the SCSI cartridge tape drive. (Preserved from SFW-
                     PSK2-MED10.)

                Install SFW-PSK4-MED10 only on m68k (Motorola) systems run-
                ning SR10.1 or SR10.1.x. ....

                  SR10.2 Product Support Kit Release Document

                           Preliminary Beta Version

                                                                       PSK5
                                                       Order No. 018084-A00

              Chapter 1: New Features in this Product Support Kit

     This product support kit (PSK5) provides software support that was not
     available with SR10.2.  It includes new files for the HP Visual User
     Environment (HP VUE) layered product, and also performance enhance-
     ments to the X Window System product, Domain/X11.  In addition, sup-
     port for Series 2500 peripheral devices that was available only with a
     previous PSK (SFW-PSKB) is included in this kit.

     1.1  HP VUE Support

     The HP Visual User Environment (HP VUE) V1.0 is a graphical user
     environment for Apollo workstations, based on the X11R3 version of the
     X Window system and on the OSF/Motif appearance and behavior style. HP
     VUE provides workstation users with an easy-to-use interface for
     display management and operating-system tasks.

     The PSK5 software must be loaded onto your SR10.2 system prior to
     for installing this PSK.

     We have changed or added the system files indicated in the following
     list to provide the support needed for the HP VUE layered product. For
     more information describing the contents of these files, see the HP
     Visual User Environment (HP VUE) Release Document located online in
     that product's /install/doc/apollo directory.

     1.1.1  Changes to the Display Manager

     HP VUE requires a new version of the DM, which is included in this
     kit.  The new DM is Inter-Client Communication Conventions Manual
     (ICCCM) compliant, which means it is a fair X client.  As such, it
     makes more calls to X for such things as window hints,
     cutting/pasting, and getting X events.  However, when run without HP
     VUE applications, the new DM looks and feels the same as the SR10.2
     version. There are no changes in startup, commands, program interface
     (pad_$ calls), or shutdown when this DM is run without the HP VUE
     applications.

     1.1.2  New Display Manager Startup Option for the HP VUE Environment

     When running the new DM in the HP VUE environment, you can use a new
     option, smgr, to control what files are executed at DM startup, as
     follows:

       smgr+   Uses the startup files in your user_data directory

       smgr-   Uses the ~/.dmrc startup file

     1.2  X Window Enhancements

     This PSK includes a new X server (/etc/Xapollo) and Rectangle Manager
     (/lib/awslib) that improves window operations (creating, mapping, mov-
     ing, resizing, destroying, etc.) over the initially released SR10.2
     code.

     Also, at SR10.2 we included X11 driver support specifically tuned for
     monochrome controller types.  We have now implemented tuned X driver
     support for five controller types.  The tuned drivers are:

          4-plane color low resolution (E series)
          8-plane color low resolution (E series)
          Series 2500
          large monochrome (high resolution)
          small monochrome (low resolution)

     These changes speed up graphical operations across the board. You will
     paticularly notice improved "feel" of X window managers such as mwm.
     New files include:

        /sys/node_data/etc/xdm/Xresources
        /etc/Xapollo
        /lib/awslib
        /sys/mgrs.split/dtm_mono_big/xdl_trait
        /sys/mgrs.split/dtm_mono_small/xdl_trait
        /sys/mgrs.split/dtm_color4/xdl_trait
        /sys/mgrs.split/dtm_dn10000_8/xdl_trait
        /sys/mgrs.split/dtm_fm/xdl_trait

     1.3  Series 2500 Peripheral Support

     The following devices were previously supported in the PSK SFW-PSKB-
     MED10.  We have included that support in this kit. The new support is
     for:

        o A new SCSI floppy drive housed in the Disk Expansion Module
          (DEM), which could also house a 200-MB SCSI Winchester disk drive

        o Apollo's SCSI 8-mm tape-drive device, housed in the DEM, used
          with OmniBack software.

        o Apollo's new 660-MB SCSI Winchester drive in the DEM.

        o Hewlett-Packard's Model 650/A Rewritable Optical Disk Drive

        o Multiple-disk volume striping

        o Diagnostic support for all Apollo SCSI devices

beierl_c@apollo.HP.COM (Christopher Beierl) (03/27/91)

In article <9103261427.AA00650@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>I've recently received information that HP/Apollo's PSK 4 or
>PSK 5 (not sure which) adds supports for external SCSI tape
>drives, including the Exabyte drive, to the WD7000 controller
>and to the DN2500. I don't have these PSK's, so I can't verify
>this. Can someone who does have them please check the release
>notes and post the answer to this mailing list? If true, this
>would provide an alternative to Workstation Solutions package.

See release notes excerpts below.  SR10.2 should incorporate the functionality
of PSK4, SR10.3 should incorporate the functionality of PSKB and PSK5.

-Chris

***************************************
Excerpt from psk4.v.10.1 release notes:
***************************************
[...]

Excerpt from pskb.v.10.2 release notes:
***************************************
  This Product Support Kit (SFW-PSKB-MED10) provides addi-
  tional software support for Series 2500 Apollo workstations
  running SR10.2. For these workstations, this PSK moves the
  operating system revision level up to SR10.2.1 and is
  required to support the following:

    + A new SCSI floppy drive housed in the Disk Expansion
      Module (DEM), which could also house a 200-MB SCSI Win-
      chester disk drive.

    + Apollo's SCSI 8-mm tape drive device, housed in the
      DEM, used with OmniBack software.

    + Apollo's new 660-MB SCSI Winchester drive in the DEM.

    + Hewlett-Packard's Model 650/A Rewritable Optical Disk
      Drive.

    + Multiple-disk volume striping.

    + Diagnostic support for all Apollo SCSI devices.

***************************************
Excerpt from psk5.v.10.2 release notes:
***************************************
  1.4  Series 2500 Peripheral Support

  The following devices were previously supported only in PSK SFW-PSKB-
  MED10.  We have included that support in this kit. The support is for:

    o A new SCSI floppy drive housed in the Disk Expansion Module
      (DEM), which could also house a 200 MB SCSI Winchester disk drive

    o Apollo's SCSI 8-mm tape-drive device, housed in the DEM, used
      with OmniBack software

    o Apollo's new 660 MB SCSI Winchester drive in the DEM

    o Hewlett-Packard's Model 650/A Rewritable Optical Disk Drive

    o Multiple-disk volume striping

    o Diagnostic support for all Apollo SCSI devices

 Christopher T. Beierl  Internet: beierl_c@apollo.HP.COM;beierl_c@apollo.com
 Apollo Computer, Inc.      UUCP: {mit-eddie,yale,uw-beaver}!apollo!beierl_c
 A Subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard                       Phone: (508) 256-6600